New SYE & Driveshaft

• There are 4 different positions that the speedo can be installed. There is a number on the gear. That corasponds to a number range on the top piece. If u clean the old tail housing u can see a dimple, the new sye ususally does not have the dimple. Align that number range to the dimple and the speedo will work. If u notice the gear s off center and it allows larger gears to engauge the mainshaft without binding.

• I scrubbed away the years of dirt and oil off of the top of the speedo gear and found the markings. I didn't see any mark on the old housing though. I set the cable so that the 26-31 range pointed up at the retaining bolt. Found out that wasn't correct on my way to work this morning. I'll try the other positions after I get home today to see what works.

Edit: My speedo gear is a 30 tooth gear.

• Its hard to explain where the dimple is. Like i said its only on the factory piece. If my memory is correct go 180* from where u are now.

• Its hard to explain where the dimple is. Like i said its only on the factory piece. If my memory is correct go 180* from where u are now.

I tired that after I got home Saturday and still nothing. I did notice that the gear teeth are a bit chewed up so it might have ruined the gear (I'll post pics later). I really need a 26 tooth gear anyways to get my speedo back to the correct calibration. I noticed on the old housing that there was a low spot about 180* of the bolt for the retainer. I guess that is the dimple in question although it looks more like a factory casting defect or some sort of external damage from a rock (again, pics later). I'll be sure and mark the new case once it's operational.

Also the speedo gear doesn't secure/snap/install into the cable housing very well. If I hold the cable vertically, the gear will just fall out. The only other times, 2 at best, I never noticed if that was the case. Doesn't seem normal to me. Maybe my gear isn't ruined but it could be sliding out of the cable to where it's not engaging the the speedo sleeve on the output shaft... :shrug: Thoughts?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Also the speedo gear doesn't secure/snap/install into the cable housing very well. If I hold the cable vertically, the gear will just fall out. The only other times, 2 at best, I never noticed if that was the case. Doesn't seem normal to me. Maybe my gear isn't ruined but it could be sliding out of the cable to where it's not engaging the the speedo sleeve on the output shaft... :shrug: Thoughts?

Do you have the long speedo gear or the short speedo gear? It's been a while since I installed an SYE (and always on TJ's), but don't some YJ's have the speedo gear sending unit that take the long speedo gear? Once you install the SYE you may need to get the speedo gear sending unity and short speedo gear that matches the new SYE kit's output shaft. Otherwise you may not be meshing at the correct spot on the ACME threads. :shrug:

Long speedo gear:

Short speedo gear:

• The gear does float and its not retained by anything. Some greese will hold it together for assembly. It just sounds like u r not doing something right. :)

• The gear I have is the long shaft style gear. I don't think the short shaft gear would be long enough to turn the cable to the speedo. The funny thing is, when I took it for the initial test drive, the speedo was working fine for about 3-4 miles from the house. :shrug:

Edit: If you look at the picture of the gear above you can see some of what I was referring to about the wearing. Maybe installing it in the wrong position chewed up the gear enough that it won't engage the shaft correctly in the correct position.

• Maybe the cable broke? If u put the tcase in nuetral, bull the ds and spin the output yoke u shold be able to see the inners moving on the speedo. U may need a mirror because its installed. It will move slow so u may need 2 poeple. One to spin and one to look.

• Typically, no. But PORC is known for having $hitty quality control on their parts - I had to dremel about 1/4" of a flattened section off of the blue ACME threaded sleeve on Erica's in order for it to fit between the rings. Basically it was two long to fit in place. Your results may vary.

The blue speedo ring wouldn't fit between the two snap ring grooves without lopping off some length first.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!