CEL/ignition coil/etc...

• Sorry if this has already been covered...
    I have a 2000 cherokee, 6 cyl.
    check engine light is on.
    took it to auto zone to get a read, said 'misfire in cylinder one'
    Injector already replaced, took it to a shop and said i needed a new ignition coil.
    Bought one myself, installed it, seems to be running much better but the CEL still on.
    Disconnected the neg terminal to try and reset it.
    Not sure if i'm missing something...?

any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

• I'm glad that worked for you! Word to the wise, pay attention to the coolant temp gauge, do not let it overheat or you run the risk of cracking the cylinder head. I mention that because it'll eventually show a cylinder 3-5 misfire code.

The CEL will usually stay for several days of driving unless manually cleared by a code reader or unhooking the battery.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• Silly question, but have you checked the spark plug? Compare it to one of the others and see if it's worn out or if the gap is out of spec. If you get a code reader, you could switch the plug to a different cylinder to see if it changes. Might be the fuel injector, too... see if the 1st plug has a coating of fuel on it that the other plugs do not... could point to a stuck injector. Or, if that one cylinder is noticeably burnt maybe no fuel at all. The condition of the spark plug can tell you a lot.

Have the codes checked to see what the exact issue is... might be a different code than the first time and give more clues.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Thanks so much. I'll check the plugs tomorrow. Joe, that would be really awesome. I live in chestnut hill estates. Pretty close to UofD.
    I also have an electrical issue. Not sure if that has anything to do with this. Basically my turn signals will work fine for a bit, then just stay on. Both sides. Hazards too.

• Did any of the plugs look different than the others?

Jerry / Whatevah

• Wiring is a pain to track down... Could be a short, bad flasher module or even the turn signal lever (multi-function switch). The most common cause is the flasher relay... It's a small black box behind the kickpanel near the brake pedal. Bad wiring is a close second, start with the drivers side tail light, it gets boogered there due to trailer harness wiring. If the relay doesn't fix it, and all wiring is good, then the turn signal lever is the last place to check.

Jerry / Whatevah

• The flasher relay is available at pep boys and other places, but there are a few different ones so you should remove yours and take it in with you to compare.

Jerry / Whatevah

• If the multi function switch is similiar to the one on the wrangler than autozone has it and its relativily cheap. Mine was having a similiar issue with the hazards sticking and that turned into the left hand turn signal sticking, that was what fixed it. Id try the relay first though because its probably less money and more accesible.

• The cps censor shouldent create an actual misfire. It feels like it but its just the cps cutting the fuel pump. If your getting an actual misfire code I doubt its cps related.
    Have you changed your plug wires? You might have a worn out one thats not sending to the plug. Mine got a miss with an engine light and rough idle when one of the wires wore out. It also coded a misfire in a particular cylinder like your getting.

• Does it run rough when the misfire happens and is it mainly when first starting the Jeep after sitting for a few minutes? There is a problem called "heat soak", where heat coming up from the exhaust manifold will literally turn the fuel in the rail to vapor (gas) and won't have the right fuel/air mix in the cylinder causing it to run pretty rough and misfire codes. You haven't mentioned anything like that, but worth a try to ask... I "fixed" it with my old Jeep by putting in hood vents to clear the heat, but there are a few methods.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!