Jeep stalls when jumped from battery booster...

• 97 TJ 4.0 -
    When hooked up to a portable battery booster the Jeep turned over strong but would not fire up. If I feathered the throttle the Jeep would start and I could keep it running as long as I didn't let it drop below 1500 RPM. Another interesting side effect was that fuel gauge went down to E and my fuel light came on. I was able to start it fine with a plug in battery charger while on the "start" setting. After I got it started, there was a very rich fuel smell and the gauge started to creep up and light went out.

Any ideas as to why I am have that issue with the portable battery booster?

• Either the battery or alternator... The booster pack really only helps with a quick jump, you still need juice in the battery to run. That's why you need to charge a drained battery first before you jump it from another vehicle. The plug-in chargers usually give more constant power vs a battery pack so they can mimic a battery.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Regardless of whether it's from a jump pack or the wall I have to keep the RPMs up for 5-10 minutes while the PCM relearns after the battery has been really drained. This is normal/expected behavior, I have leaned a maglite or hammer against the gas pedal and just let it be for a few.

I don't have an explanation for the fuel smell or low gas other than maybe you were out of gas? I dunno.

• Thanks for all the feedback!

The Jeep turned over real strong from the jump pack. The only need for providing throttle to it was to feed the engine fuel. For some reason it seemed that the battery booster pack was doing something strange with the fuel system... Wasn't sure if anyone else experienced something similar...
    When I jumped on the charger, immediately following, the engine ran fine after clearing out the rich fuel mixture.

Perhaps it is something with the booster pack that I have...?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!