Transfer case

• Hello everyone...I just got the 06 TJ a few months back. When placing into 4H or 4L there is a periodic chain noise that seems like its grabbing.

Any shops in local area (Newark) to check out the transfer case? Thanks!

• Check the fluid level and color. It should be red/pink not dark red. Usually low fluid levels cause the shift and mode fork to wear out and not put the gears in the correct position. Low fluid will also cause chain stretch. If its not a linkage issue u will have to crack the case open for inspection.

• If the fluid is low or burt the damage may have already been done but it where u want to start.

• So the fluid was low...and I added 3/4 of a quart. It still has the same issue, where in 4H or 4L, there is a periodic clunking noise that seems to increase with speed. Local shop says to replace the transfer case. Jeep has approx 150K on it but not really ready to drop the money on a reman. transfer case. I don't really have the facilities or tools to remove it myself, so was just curious whether replacement was best move. Guess I can always risk it with a junkyard one...

• A rebuild kit is about 100, a chain is about 120 and the mode fork is around 40. U can generally find used cases for around 250 if u want to take a chance. I can pull it and rebuild it if needed. Im generally a whole lot cheaper then a shop. I have another project in the garage for a few weeks but i might be able to push it out if u need it fixed quickly.

• If you want help removing the transfer case to take it up to Aaron's for a rebuild just let me know. I'm usually free after 3:30. Shoot me a PM or text me @ 302-seven five zero-0338. Should only take about 20 mins to take the tcase off of the Jeep.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I pulled mine and had Aaron rebuild it and install an SYE. He is fast, does excellent work and is the best price you will find. I found a rebuild kit(seals/bearings) and a chain for a total of $120. Good quality kit and chain, just have to search the net for deals.

• If you want help removing the transfer case to take it up to Aaron's for a rebuild just let me know. I'm usually free after 3:30. Shoot me a PM or text me @ 302-seven five zero-0338. Should only take about 20 mins to take the tcase off of the Jeep.

Thanks! I PMed Aaron and am waiting to see how we can hook up on this. I'll let you know!

• I pulled mine and had Aaron rebuild it and install an SYE. He is fast, does excellent work and is the best price you will find. I found a rebuild kit(seals/bearings) and a chain for a total of $120. Good quality kit and chain, just have to search the net for deals.

Thanks a lot...will start searching!

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Aaron rebuilt it for me and I had it back the next day! Thanks Aaron for the fast turnaround. Now I'll be able to hit Rausch next weekend...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!