New member looking for Jeep.

• I live in North Wilmington near Bellefonte but just bought a "beach house" in Millsboro down off of 24. I am just getting into surf fishing and want to get something to use on the beach. Ideally I want a Wrangler (so I can take the top off) but would also not mind a Cherokee. Its hardly going to be driven so I am not looking on spending a lot of money on one. However, I would like to get something reliable. Its going to have to get me too the beach and back home; other than that its just gonna sit in my driveway in Millsboro. Been combing Craigslist daily looking but not being familiar with Jeep's I really don't know what I am looking at. I joined the site in hopes of educating myself. There is a guy up the street that has 2 bad ass Jeeps that I was thinking of stopping and talking too to see if I could pick his brain and get some buying advice from.

• Welcome! You've found a great resource for the questions you have. There are a lot of people here that are knowledgeable about Jeeps and also about surf fishing.

If it will strictly be for beach use then either a Wrangler or Cherokee will suit your needs. Both are very capable even in their stock forms. The only advantage I can think of is that the Cherokee will afford you more cargo space. Some people with Wranglers solve that issue with small trailers or cargo racks. The 6cyl engines (4.2 or 4.0) are the preferred power plants as they are nearly indestructible work horses...

There's lots of things to look for when selecting and buying a Jeep but there's great people here who are always willing to help and answer questions you may have. Again, welcome and we're glad to have ya!
    :wavey:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• ... there's great people here who are always willing to help and answer questions you may have.

^ truth
    and welcome! :wavey:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Thanks for the welcome. I may be leaning towards the Cherokee because of the room and it seems you can get one in better shape for cheaper. I really like this one on Craigslist but it seems way overpriced. http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/5369455243.html

I have been watching out for a Cherokee also for my daughter, missed one a month or so ago in the OC MD area for $3200.00 in pristine condition and less than 100k on the odometer. The rig in the add looks nice but 6K is kind of steep. It seems you can buy a true "beater" for under 2k and get something half way decent for $3500-$4000 keep looking and you will find a decent deal.

• The rig in the add looks nice but 6K is kind of steep. It seems you can buy a true "beater" for under 2k and get something half way decent for $3500-$4000 keep looking and you will find a decent deal.

^ This.

$6k is WAY steep. I just bought a 2001 XJ with 3" lift and a few nice upgrades like Sony stereo with Pioneer speakers, and American Racing aluminum wheels, in excellent condition, 143k miles, for $4200.

Keep looking. You'll need to be patient, but you can do better.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I have been watching out for a Cherokee also for my daughter...

Me too! Hopefully she passes her driving test this coming Saturday.

I am buying one for her from a buddy of mine from NAXJA (he's also a guest and frequent visitor on this forum - you know who you are), a 2000 with 160K, remote start, pretty much stock in really nice condtion, $3000.

This is another example of how brihvac can find something better for less than the one in his link.

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Me too! Hopefully she passes her driving test this coming Saturday.

Good luck to your daughter. My daughter is still in the permit phase. She has wanted a Cherokee for a while now and wants to build it to be trail capable. There are lots of them out there and at fair prices

• Good luck to your daughter. My daughter is still in the permit phase. She has wanted a Cherokee for a while now and wants to build it to be trail capable. There are lots of them out there and at fair prices

Thanks. I bought my first Cherokee when she was 8, I think. She has never wavered on wanting one since. I'm sure if I was independently wealthy, she'd be wanting a new Mustang or something, but she knows the Cherokee is realistic.

~ JD

• The author of this ad could have done a much better job with the pics and description, but it might be worth checking out. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5366534989.html

[size=1]Disclaimer: I know neither the seller nor anything of the vehicle itself. I listed it here for informational purposes only. [/size]

~ JD

• Here is another Cherokee that I might look at if I were still shopping.

The ALL CAPS description is a little annoying, but the part that amuses me the most is the photographer's chosen method of concealing the license plate number, especially since it is clearly discernible in some of the other pictures.
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5370579228.html

[size=0.7em]Disclaimer: I know neither the seller nor anything of the vehicle itself. I listed it here for informational purposes only. [/size]

~ JD

• Good luck to your daughter. My daughter is still in the permit phase. She has wanted a Cherokee for a while now and wants to build it to be trail capable. There are lots of them out there and at fair prices

Where are you seeing this?
    They all seem to be a lot higher than KBB and NADA

• Where are you seeing this?
    They all seem to be a lot higher than KBB and NADA

Do a craigslist search. Did you click on the links I posted above?

Narrowing your search parameters is very helpful. If you just search "Jeep Cherokee" you'll get lots of irrelevant hits. See if this search works for you:
    http://philadelphia.craigslist…uery=jeep+cherokee+-grand

~ JD

• They all seem to be a lot higher than KBB and NADA

The KBB and NADA values are reference points, but many sellers price them high because they can - especially since winter might be coming, there are buyers out there looking for 4WD vehicles.

~ JD

• Linked worked Thanks. Was not seeing any of those. The one the member has in OC look good too. I may be contacting him soon. Should I be afraid of high miles on the 4.0? I would much rather buy off a trusted member here than go outside. Looks like many are willing to help out if you have a problem you may need a hand with. Hell I even have a lift in my garage in N Wilmington.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!