DMV and a swapped engine

• Quick question: I'm looking at a Cherokee that's for sale and the motor was swapped a while back. It has the same 4.0L I6 that came in it originally just new. The computer was also swapped at that time. I'm concerned about the DE DMV scanner showing a different VIN. Is that something I need to be concerned with?

The owner is unsure what if any VIN it will show.

Thanks!

• This is the post that made me concerned. This is a 2000 if that makes a difference.

Since your jeep is obd3 it will have to read as your vin on the ls computer. It can be done, i have a friend with a ls miata that passes the motor computer vin check. As long as they plug it in and it reads no codes it will pass de emissions.

There is a crap ton of info on the web for this swap. U will have to decipher what is good and what is not.

• Won't matter to DMV.

You may get a light on the dash because of a VIN mismatch between the PCM and the cluster. It's stored in both.

• I think I'm going to walk away from this thing. The guy bought it from a "friend" but didn't get the paperwork on this engine swap. That's a helluva lot of miles on there for $3,500 and dude is not really working with me on price. IMO that's a $1500 Jeep. Unless I'm crazy!

Here is the link if anyone is interested.
    https://www.facebook.com/group…ermalink/758358797628050/

• KBB is telling me it's private party value is $2518 - and that's taking into account the mileage, oversize off-road tires, aftermarket bumpers, and the winch. Sort of depends on how badly you want THAT particular Jeep. :shrug:

• Doesn't really make sense.

A Jasper rebuilt wouldn't usually include the PCM.

I asked: was the computer changed?
    IE if I take it through DMV will the VIN show same as the windshield

Seller: The computer is a remanufactured unit don't know when it was installed....should show same vin but I really couldn't tell you that

• Jeepman John bought a non running XJ from my buddy, put a used computer in it, it fired up, he fixed a few other things, got it inspected and tagged no problem. It was a '96, though, so not OBD3, but still had OBD to plug into. You might be right to avoid this 'deal' though :)

• You may get a light on the dash because of a VIN mismatch between the PCM and the cluster. It's stored in both.

No, you won't get a CEL.

This is the post that made me concerned. This is a 2000 if that makes a difference.

Just to clear up the misinformation there is no obd'3'....there is an obd2b or eodb2 which are extensions to the original obd2 protocol introduced in '96 A 2000 would be obd2 and, like I said in the thread that this was quoted from, DE does not verify the VIN stored in the computer.

If it was a good deal I'd say buy it but the price seems a little high to me.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!