06 Grand Cherokee, should I buy it?

• Saw it on route 13 for sale in New Castle. 119k v6 $8900 (which is overpriced I know)

The Jeep looks to be in good shape. It's one of my higher ranking body styles beside the 99 sport and 2011 GC.

Does anyone have this body style? Would you recommend it? Known issues? Just looking for insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• My family has a 2005 Laredo - I think it was the first year of it. Might have been the "first year bugs" but they have had a ton of issues. And they are pretty good on it - never towed with it, never took it off-road other than some 4WD in PA snow and 4WD to their cabin in the fall/winter. Transmission continually leaks, transmission overheating, intermittent wiper problems, starter replaced x2, electrical issues where the dash goes dead while driving (also kills the indicators, brake lights, and a/c when it happens), had the bad ignition assembly that needed to be changed out, steering column clicks loudly when turning more than a 180 degree turn on the wheel, and the HVAC pump inside the dash will rapid-fire click for about 10 seconds whenever you first start the motor. Sounds like a machine gun but gets old real quick. They purchased it new so it can't be blamed on a previous owner and I think they have around 80k on it.

Like I said, theirs is a 2005 so your results may vary with a 2006. :shrug:

• That would have the 3.8L V6 wouldn't it? Those were dubbed the "mini-van motor" if I'm not mistaken. I'd pass on it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That would have the 3.8L V6 wouldn't it? Those were dubbed the "mini-van motor" if I'm not mistaken. I'd pass on it.

I've heard people say that, but will say the Jeep has plenty of pep and does fine on the highway. Plus it hasn't burned oil profusely like I hear of earlier JK models...

• I agree on the pass. I've been hunting for a Cherokee / g Cherokee for a while and there is A LOT of over priced junk out there.

Yeah after seeing the list of problems, although anecdotal, I think I'll wait until something better comes along. I really want a 2011 so I can put either a 4 or 6.5" lift on it and some 35s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• I've heard people say that, but will say the Jeep has plenty of pep and does fine on the highway. Plus it hasn't burned oil profusely like I hear of earlier JK models...

That generation of Grand should have the 3.7. Thankfully a different design than the 3.8... sadly the oil issue isn't just the early production JKs, it's almost every one made from 07-11.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!