Wiring Upgrade

• This weekend, I'm looking to possibly find some time and upgrade the Big 3 (grounds and alt wire). I have a couple quick questions:

1: The braided ground wire from the block to the firewall, does it need to be a braided type? If so, why does it need to be braided? Just curious...

2. Ground from the battery runs to the passenger side of the engine block. I wanted to add another so, which is better routing? a. block to frame b. battery to frame

3. Ground to frame, is the motor mount bolt a good choice for this? Figured I can run a 2nd nut behind the wire's eyelet and I won't have to drill into the frame. The other alternative I've seen is from one of the starter mount bolts to the battery.

4. Alternator wire.. both the red positives run to the starter solenoid switch on the firewall. I believe the single wire on top is the charging wire (correct?). Can I run that straight to the battery instead? There is already a positive from battery to the solenoid switch so I'm not sure that from Alt to switch is necessary or better instead of Alt to battery directly. My Optima has both top and side terminals as well.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Edited once, last by Kuntryboy816 ().

• i was researching this myself and found this guy that adds one more ground from the alt to the frame. Here's his explanation:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!