How to measure wheels?

• As it says...How do I measure the wheel width with the tires on them :shrug: They have 30x9.5 tires on them so I am guessing 15x7, maybe 8? By the way, the are AR Outlaw II. Thanks.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• I believe you take the outside measurement directly across the wheel.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I think I figured out how to tell...2 options. 1) take the wheel off, it should be on the back side or 2) go to a place that sells AR Wheels and ask them to use a balance micrmeter on the wheel.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• The shop I used to work at had
    1) a set of calipers that were basically a cross between tongs and a compass.
    2) on the tire balance machine a tape measure that dropped down to measure width.

If you don't want to take the tire off the rim your best option would be to take it to a place that mounts and balances wheels and see if they have the same type balance machine. BTW I used to work at Winner Ford. All your options involve having the wheel off the vehicle, unless you can find a really big C clamp and just measure the distance between the ends.

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Not really.

He dosent want to remove the tire from the rim. But you are correct... to a point. Actualy most of your "better" wheel manufacturers take the measurement from the inside bead edge, like the pic you posted, not the actual outside edge of the rims lips. this way you dont get the addition of the wheel material thickness added into your measurement.

also on a side note the pic you posted shows ET measurements (offset) as opposed to backspacing. For our applications, Jeep and most american vehicles, we use back spacing for calculating "offset".

For import applications, or actualy any application where you have limited space for tire and wheel fitment, you would use the ET measurement (offset) either positive (pulling the wheel inwards) or negative (pushing the wheel outward from the vehicle).

I had to learn all this junk about wheels to calculate for throwing 16's and 17's on my Bug.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm tired. :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!