• Well I finally got a chance to use the camper this year. I towed it down to my parents house about an hour south of me in Clayton. On the way I stopped at a truck stop and weighed in. The camper only had less than 100lbs of gear inside (hardly any gear) to add to it's empty weight. (See weight ticket)

I had to change out a tire before I hooked it but overall the camper towed pretty well. At nearly the max weight for my YJ, she dogged a little getting up to speed. It wasn't overly awful as Delaware is mostly flat. The only complaint I have is that due to the single axle and the fact that it's located almost directly in the middle of the frame, it bounced a little more than I cared for. I think that a 2nd axle or locating it a little further to the rear would cut it down to more acceptable levels when I hit bumps in the road. The drop hitch really makes a difference in the way it tows when it's sitting nearly level.

Now that the wife and kids have had a taste of "glamping", I guess it's time to start making little tweaks and mods to our taste and way of camping

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Keep in mind that moving the axle back will increase the tongue weight.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Does it have its own brakes?

No trailer brakes. I did attempt a few quicker-than-normal stops when there was no traffic around. It did stop decently w/o any wagging but not quite as nicely as I'd have liked. It has spurred my want of an 8.8 w/ disc brakes higher up the list. For the moment, I'll be maintaining greater following distances and a higher alertness to other vehicles when towing it.

• Fwiw, any wagging will usually be the result of too much weight behind the trailer axle. Try to avoid putting a loaded cooler or firewood in the back. :) I had a hitch rack on the back of my trailer loaded with firewood. Was fine until I got past 60mph, then started wagging and wouldn't stop unless I hit the trailer brakes (using the brake controller manual switch). After I moved the firewood to the front of the trailer, it was fine.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yeah Steve, like Sal said the Jeep and camper are on seperate sections of the scale. The weigh master said that the weight measurements would be correct that way so it would save me from having to drop the trailer for a 2nd weigh in.

• Fwiw, any wagging will usually be the result of too much weight behind the trailer axle. Try to avoid putting a loaded cooler or firewood in the back. :) I had a hitch rack on the back of my trailer loaded with firewood. Was fine until I got past 60mph, then started wagging and wouldn't stop unless I hit the trailer brakes (using the brake controller manual switch). After I moved the firewood to the front of the trailer, it was fine.

Good to know. There's a very large storage box on the front of the camper (just behind the 55ga drum) for all of the gear. When I say large, I mean huuuuge! I can fit 4 EZups plus probably10-12 folding chairs in there. It's probably more space than we'll ever use. The only real storage space inside when the canopy is down is the main walkway. I could easily fit my Coleman 120 in that space with room to spare though. Now that you bring up a good point, I'm going to mark the axle line on the floor and keep only the lighter stuff like sleeping bags, linens, etc. behind it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!