Crankshaft position sensor - which brand is recommended?

• Never had to change one on a 4.0L (but I have to now) so not sure if this is one of those cases where you want to stick to OEM or if aftermarket brands are okay. I see that I can trade an internal organ to help fund an OEM sensor, pay $160 for an Omix-Ada sensor, or pay $50 for a Standard Motor sensor. Any experience with these? Stick to OEM? Go with Autozone's brand? Rock Auto?

Thanks!

• Can't remember replacing one on my old 93 jeep, but my old Scion was very picky and tons of people said aftermarkets never seemed to work as reliably as the OEM one on that engine, but different engine different beast.

So if it were me with a CPS I'd go OEM but i'm sure other people have actual 4.0L experience with them.

• I Neverr had any issue with aftermarket crank sensors but I did have a few cam sensors that wouldnt work right out of the box. I just found the box to my crank sensor that i swapped out when i was chasing no start issues (Ended up being ignition switch). It is a standard brand part # pc 176. It is still in my jeep 5 years later. Never swapped the old on back in because its kind of a PIA job especially with fenders.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I Neverr had any issue with aftermarket crank sensors but I did have a few cam sensors that wouldnt work right out of the box. I just found the box to my crank sensor that i swapped out when i was chasing no start issues (Ended up being ignition switch). It is a standard brand part # pc 176. It is still in my jeep 5 years later. Never swapped the old on back in because its kind of a PIA job especially with fenders.

Now that I think about I can't remember if it was crank or cam sensor that was the issue.

• Never had to change one on a 4.0L (but I have to now) so not sure if this is one of those cases where you want to stick to OEM or if aftermarket brands are okay. I see that I can trade an internal organ to help fund an OEM sensor, pay $160 for an Omix-Ada sensor, or pay $50 for a Standard Motor sensor. Any experience with these? Stick to OEM? Go with Autozone's brand? Rock Auto?

Thanks!

Had to replace a CPS on an XJ , dont think Ive ever done one on my TJ.
    I'd have no issues going with an SMP sensor FWIW.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!