Tail gate hinges

• Is there something I can do besides replacement for the stiff tailgate hinges on my tj? I know that steel and aluminum don't mix but I didn't know if anyone had a solution for these.

• Have you tried any king of spray lubrication on the hinge pipit points??? That would be my first step.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• There was a video on youtube that I can't find any longer, but it worked great for me. Open the tailgate and pick a spot in the middle of each hinge (so there will be 2 total spots). It has to be on the round portion of the hinge that contains the pin. Pick a drill bit that is the same size (or slightly larger) than the little hose that comes on the PB Blaster bottle. Drill into the hinge slowly until you make it through the outer piece. Just keep checking until you make it through, it will be obvious. Then spray some PB Blaster in both hinges and start moving the tailgate around for awhile. Open and shut it like 15-20 times. Use a rag and wipe all the junk off that comes out. Repeat this a few times. Don't be shy with the PB Blaster, spray a bunch.

You can always put something in the hole to seal it up when you are done if you want. When you pick the spot to drill, you can pick a spot that won't be visible when you close the tailgate. This worked like a charm for me. Took about 20 min, and made the world of difference.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f…gate-hinge-fix-99045.html here's a link to some pictures. Hope it works, and helps

• [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2px]100% [/size]recommend[size=2px].[/size][/font]
    I did not want to do this because once you violate metal, there is no going back..
    I wish I did it sooner! it worked great.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!