Need help with additional wiring.

• Some may remember me as Santa CD, looks like I'm getting back into the Santa business.
    I want to add emergency vehicle lighting to my 87 YJ. I plan to install 4 rotating beacons, 2 only windshield hinge mounts & 2 on poles up from the rear bumper, (all 4 will have cigarette lighter plugs when the arrive), & a siren, (2 wires), mounted on the front bumper. I have the 4.2 with stock alternator & battery. I also intend to use the cigarette lighter to power a small inverter to operate the small bulb, flashing Christmas lights that will wrap around the body. What, if any additional wiring/ fuse block/? Should I install to power these lights? I'll have 3-5 rocker switches mounted under the dash.
    Now for the rest of the story. Years past, I rode a fire truck thru the subdivision tossing candy canes to the kids. It got harder & harder to get a fire engine when we wanted to make the ride, so the Civic Association stopped trying to schedule it. Last year, the ole girl got an on frame restoration & new "fire engine red" paint. The Civic Association asked if I could decorate the YJ and start the ride again in 2017. They purchased me a Santa suit & will donate $150.xx to help with the cost of the lights, so I figured why not?
    Thanks for any help.

• I'm guessing you're going to use old-school halogen lights... check the sticker on the housings, it should say the Amp or Watt draw. If it's watts, divide by 12 to get the Amps which is what you need to know for wire size and fuse size. A lot of the halogen rotating lights are in the 50-70 watt range (5-7 amps). For wiring and such, stop by Eastern Marine, they should have a few options for fuse blocks and switches. A switch box that has its own fuses at would be easiest. I'd suggest getting a 4-switch box, use two switches for front/back lights, one for siren and one for the invertor. I'd suggest 8 gauge wire to your switch box with 14 gauge wire to the individual lights or siren.

If you're using the siren while parked (assuming to play Christmas songs) plus the lights, then you'll probably want to high-idle the Jeep to let the alternator put out more power. I'd suggest using a hand throttle for that, pretty DIY simple using a bicycle shifter or there are kits for it.

If you're only using the invertor for the Christmas lights, then you can run it with the 14 gauge wiring too. Otherwise (like for future use), check the sticker on the invertor to see the power draw and go from there... a 100-150W invertor is fine with 14 gauge in a Jeep (short wiring distance).

You replied while I was typing out my post... you'll be fine with the 14ga wiring for the lights and 8ga to supply the switch box.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Thank you Jerry. You may not remember Betty Boop, she was black when you left the card @ Home Depot. Yes, old school lights, after all Santa is an ole fart like me! :)
    I'm figuring on installing the wiring permanently, (12 gauge) with plugs on the ends to attach the lights & siren. I'm also looking at installing dual batteries as I plan on installing a winch next year & maybe a small block. Siren will be to alert kids Santa is coming. Christmas music is a great idea, thanks.

• Around me, the local fire companies get a Santa and drive around tossing candy, my Dad does the Santa thing and went out several times each year, he stopped doing that a few years ago but did 4 private Santa-ings on he back of a firetruck to private things in one neighborhood, I think the people just made a donation to the fire company. I am surprised you have trouble finding a truck, I guess it all depends where you live.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

• I am surprised you have trouble finding a truck, I guess it all depends where you live.

Several of the fire companies near me do Santa runs on their own. My station has been doing it since I moved here in 1997. They have pretty good relationships with the civic assocations and schedule them all through December.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• All I was told was the civic assoc. was having problems scheduling a fire engine. I went so far as to buy my own. A 1962 ALF from the Sunoc refinery in Marcus Hook, PA. 7,000 original miles, but she was too far gone for my limited skills.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!