Wrenchfest at Quadna's Garage

• friday the 27th we'll be putting a budget boost and new shocks on jc1121's (jen's) '00 SE. 2" spring spacers and shocks are relatively easy to install and we should be done by noon or so if we take our time. showtime is around 8:30 with the impact gun running by 8:45 at the latest. anyone is welcome to stop by and lend a hand or just some conversation :)

saturday the 28th we'll be working on bluej's XJ. front brakes, engine tune-up, an axleshaft u-joint, and some other little things will be done. again, feel free to stop on by and share some knowledge :)
    chris

from north or south.
    come through the center of dover on route 13. turn west on route 8 (also known as division street) and continue on this road through the west end of dover. keep an eye out for the wawa that will be on your left hand side. once passing the wawa you'll have exactly 2 miles to go on route 8. our house is on the right side of route 8 with a mailbox hanging out into the road. it's the first driveway past the animal hospital and about 100 yards before the amish store (byler's market). a two-story house with a 2 jeep garage facing the road. look for lots of jeeps :grin:

• I ordered the shocks Thursday so they should be on my door step tomorrow or Tuesday. :spinrhead: I had to put the spacers in the garage because they kept staring at me while in the house. :suspicious:

I'm not excited or anything :spinrhead:

• When are you guys getting started on Saturday? I was thinking of stopping by Chricky's garage on my way down to the Walmart thing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Starting at 8:00 means leaving by 7:00 which means up by 6:00. Hmmm, we'll give it a try, but I think 9:00 is probably more like it. Want me to stop for donuts or bagels?

Nate is going to be coming down with me, to get his hands dirty and start to learn about his Cherokee.

• one down and one more day to go.
    jen showed up bright at early today. we pushed the willys outside (left it there until when andrew and nate can help push it back in :)) and then started on her lift. all told, we had the lift/shocks done by around 11, killed some time tuning her cb a little, and then just bs'ed until just after 12. it was a good morning in the garage. her jeep looks great - she can pipe up on how it feels to drive a lifted jeep :)
    chris

• I've been modified! :spinrhead: The only difference I can tell is that I'm higher up and I can hear my tires. The ride is actually a little smoother. Thanks to Chris for all the work he did. :up:

Before --

After --

Married to a man that is both slow _and_ stupid...

Edited once, last by ().

• Man...those stock TJ tires are dinky. Looks nice. Yellow was always one of my favorite colors.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Looks great Jen. :up:

Yellow was always one of my favorite colors.

Yeah Me too. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Thanks, Chris, for your time and driveway today. I'm happy with what we accomplished...

Chris, my son Nate, and I worked on the XJ today. John B and Andy stopped by on their way to Camden. We started on the front axle, pulling off the tires, brake calipers, and rotors. The right side hub came off easily, and we pulled out the axle shaft to check that u-joint. The left side hub was a bit harder, but the hub itself was the problem , not the u-joint. The hub had too much play, and needs to be replaced. Jeep dealer Hertrich was open but didn't have the part in stock - the nearby dealer that had one in stock was not open. I have a couple of spares from my TJ, but they were in Wilmington, so we had to put things together with the bad hub (I'll replace it on Monday).

We took a look at the u-joint, which didn't look bad at all. Turns out Napa gave me driveshaft u-joints (with the clip on the outside) instead of axle u-joints (with the clip in the inside). A quick call to Aaron confirmed that they were not interchangeable, so we didn't take out the old u-joints.

The u-joint kit came in handy in resetting the brake calipers, though, so thanks to Tugboat for lending me that. We installed new rotors and brake pads, then closed up the axles.

Next we worked on the serpentine belt. Thanks to Chris's computer-based manuals, we figured out how to loosen the old belt and get the new one one. Then we pulled the plugs, rotor, and distributor cap. The old plugs were pretty old, and it was tough getting the wires off. Luckily, Chris had a special tool for pulling off ignition wires, and they came off easily after that. We got everything off, then back on, all in the correct order, and the engine sounds great.

We packed up, cleaned up, and then headed out to grab a quick couple of burgers at the Camden Wal-Mart.

Thanks again, Chris!

• It sucks that you had the wrong parts. I think it's funny that the dealer told you that the right axle u-joint needed replaced and it turned out to be the left hub.

The hub should come off easy from now on. Usually the first time things are removed are a royal pain. After that things are much easier to remove since they have less rust.

It gave me an opportunity to see the new flatty in the club. I love it! It needs a total resto but it will be worth it. Looking underneath I saw what one bolt hole on my transfer case was for. The flatty runs the same transfer case. I can't see Quadna driving it though. His legs will be hitting the steering wheel.

If you ever decide to sell it let me know. I might be interested in taking on the project.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!