Charging a Yellow Top

• I went out to my Jeep today for the first time in a week (been riding the Harley -easier on gas) Only got about a half crank out of her and dead.

The problem now is charging the battery. Ive had it on a 10 amp charge for almost 3 hours and shes still not up. I cut it down to 2 amp and Im gonna leave it on overnight. Ive never had to charge a completely dead deep cycle battery before, and didnt expect it to take THIS LONG.

Ive got to get it charged to test it, find out if I need a new batt. or find a parasitic drain.

Anyone else tried charging one of these back from nothing?

• I know its not really the same type of battery, but i have a delco voyager deep cycle battery for my trolling motor. I have owned this battery for close to ten years now, let it sit for a good year once without a charge, and it came right back to life. Deep cycles dont die that easy, sounds like you either have a defective battery or a the dreaded parasitic drain. Even when i worked at The Three Thieves, I mean Pep boys, we rarely had any deep cycles come back.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• If you let it go completely drained it can take a good while to get it back to life. Leaving it overnight should do it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!