AC evaporator as a tranny cooler

• While I was installing my radiator I was looking at the AC evaporator
    I haven’t used AC in several years with a YJ you don't need it.
    I am thinking of flushing out the evaporator and running the tranny fluid through it as a cooler.
    Anyone using the ac evaporator as a tranny cooler? :hmm:

• What is it? I have some stainless steel pressure bombs I got from work that you could use. I think they are good for 2000 psi. I'm not sure if they would work since I'm not sure how the evaporater works.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Are you looking at the condensor or evaporator. The evaporator would not work due to its location (behind the dash). The condensor which i believe you are talking about has much smaller ports than a tranny cooler and probably wouldn't work very well.

• Im pretty sure it will work. I was gonna do it on my cutlass but decieded to pull the condenser to save weight. If anything it might work too well, because the condenser is usally much bigger than a trans cooler. I came close to doing it and thought that the trans may not get hot enough to work properly because the condecer on my cutlass was bigger than the radiator.
    Ed

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!