drum brake help

• I needed to change my rear drum brakes, went out and got all the parts, my girlfriends dad new how to do them but was very busy with construction work, he "pointed" me in the right direction and showed me how to disasemble and how to look at the other side to make sure I'm doing It right, but for a first timer changing the drums Its very confusing and overwhelming, one side is off and the wheel cylinder has been changed but I can get the shoes and spring to go on perfect, Im struggling and would appreciate any help from anyone who knows what their doing and has changed brakes before, I'v been slaving for the past 2 hours and have goten nowhere, If anyones a pro and could lend a helping hand for an hour or two so I can finish these up that'd be great, either today or tomorow work, It will be light for about another two hours....Thanks, Josh

2 Augment Ct. Newark, DE 19711 - Harmony Woods

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• I'm not turning down your offer gumby I Just think I need someone here Instructing me theres to many pieces and springs, Its like a Jigsaw puzzle and you gota know what goes on first, If anyone wants to stop by for a while please feel free, Im at 2 Augment Ct, Newark, DE 19711, 302-463-1271, I could use a hand from whoever knows what their doing, It's all torn apart on one side so Its Just gota be put together

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• There isn't a set procedure. Do you have the brake tools? They make it easier. I have some if you need it.

I'm assuming they aren't THAT different from CJ drum brakes.

The first thing I would put on were the retaining springs and rods. There were the little coil springs that hold the shoes back against the plate. You'll also need to put on the automatic adjusters on the bottom (looks like a little gear that goes in between the shoes at the bottom), and the e-brake bar (flat bar that goes between the shoes across the top and will have a coil spring that goes on one end).

The I put on the cable and hook it to the clip thing at the bottom of one of the shoes.

A spring then goes from the other shoe to the clip thing across the bottom.

Then I do the two long springs. Each goes from one shoe to the center post.

Take a rubber mallet and bang the shoes into position (lightly) until you can get the drum on.

I'm busy this weekend or I'd stop by.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If there is a next time, it is easier to go to someone else house and do it there. It is hard to have someone come to your house and help.

I don't mind to help if it is in my garage. I have tools and I know how to use them. It makes the job much esier and you can learn at the same time too. Good luck and think about it next time before you pull everything apart. :)

• Big thanks to John (Slimer) for stopping by unexpectidley and saving the day, I got the first drum fixed myself but had It on to tight, he helped with the 2nd and It was perfect went back and re-did the second and It turned out fine with his help, Thanks again John! :spinrhead:

pm me anytime If ur daughter wants to see my girlfriends horses, were up there all day on sundays...

• Quote from "XJ99"

Big thanks to John (Slimer) for stopping by unexpectidley and saving the day, I got the first drum fixed myself but had It on to tight, he helped with the 2nd and It was perfect went back and re-did the second and It turned out fine with his help, Thanks again John! :spinrhead:

pm me anytime If ur daughter wants to see my girlfriends horses, were up there all day on sundays...

I just might do that.

Two things I forgot to tell you:

1. Since you had the adjusters on by the time I got there I didn't pay much attention to them. But they are side specific. If the brakes don't seem to adjust or seem to lose their adjustment, then you may have them on the wrong side.

2. Once you have them bled, go SLOWLY down the street and hit the brakes a few times. You may have to do a final "pump up" to get them adjusted out right. I always seem to forget this and start rolling down my driveway. I'd remember when I'd try to stop and my foot goes through the floor. It wakes you up fast.

I'm glad I could help.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• cool thanks, I kept them on the right sides and remebered the way the went in so the their fine, and I bled all the brakes except one cause the valve was stripped, this was the front right tire and the front left didnt have any bubbles so Im sure that will be fine, then my girlfriends dad told me to go out in the street and back up about 50ft taping the break slowly every couple seconds so It could get set....but thanks for the help again

• Backing up and hitting the brakes does the fine tuning of the drums by making the self adjusters work. You had them pretty tight so they may be fine. I've heard mine click before when I set them.

How does it ride? Do they seem too tight?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• they seem fine to me? they brake for me, thats all that matters I guess

• If they are too tight they will wear out faster.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• XJs are notorious for warping front rotors because the rear brakes aren't doing there 20%. What I do is jack up the rear, remove the ajustment plug, and use a adjuster tool (or bent screwdriver) to tighten up the rears until they begin to drag on the drum. Also, be sure to re-adjust the emergency brake.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• These were dragging on the drum well. We had them set so the tire would spin a little more than one turn by hand as hard as we could.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!