fixin driveline angles

• well the way things are going it might just be me asking for help, you can never learn to much and all help is appreciated

• Hello.

I run 2" springs SOA, with a 1/2" spacer up front for steering issues, rear shackles are about 1.5" longer than stock, but on Waggy springs. The rear shackles were added to correct shackle angle, not to lift. I also run a 2" body lift.

The pic is a bit large... sorry.

Gives everyone an idea of what the 2.5" SOA and a 2" BL looks like. The tires are 37's.

On to your issues.

First off let me say, $265 for that d-shaft is crazy! The slip yoke is weak! I FUBAR'd one with 33's and 3.07:1 gears doing light wheeling.

Your vibes are most definitely from the pinion angle. With a non CV style driveshaft you do NOT point the pinion at the t-case, as you would a CV style driveshaft. Its a different animal, and needs to be operated within spec.

You NEED a SYE kit! You can pick one up for about $180 new. You can also get a front drive shaft out of an XJ and have it cut down to the proper length for about $50. The XJ front shaft is a CV style. So for about $230 you can have an SYE and CV style shaft.

Welding of spring perches, if you have to pay to have it done, should not cost much. Just have it ready, grind off the old ones and clean up the metal around the area.

Do it correctly the first time around and it works out costing less, in $ and in frustration (not to mention down time).

What gearing are you running, what size tires? I cant imagine you wheeling that thing with tires big enough to fill the room created by that much lift, and not breaking the stock slip yoke soon.

• Right now i only have 33" tires cuase im afraid to put anything bigger they will snap shafts left and right. i have 3.07 gearing but im investing in bigger axles along with gears ( 4.88 ) Where did you find a sye for 180$ i cant find them for less than the high 200's

• That I dont.

Try calling a few 'yards. Problem with a lot of them is that they use fork lifts to pick up the vehicles... that bends up a lot of good d-shafts.

If you do find a yard with good ones, try to get them to hold one for me... I'm gonna have to make a temp d-shaft, with conversion joints, for my 1 ton project. ;D

• Quote from "92WestShady"

Seems like you have all the answers Rob, where do you get the drive shaft cut down and balanced?

Kellers is where most get thiers worked on.

• damn, completly missed that question!

I had mine done at Associated truck parts last time, but that was a lengthening job, so it cost a bit more. Anyway, I'd call a few places and ask. I got RAPED at ATP for the re-tube!

• How much do shops charge for that kind of work(ie. cutting or lengthening a shaft and balancing)? I guess I am just wondering if I am better off going with a kit from somebody like Tom Woods. I have only heard good things about his driveshafts and he has light duty and heavy duty SYE and driveshaft combos ranging from $370 to $525. The YJ combos being the lower end of that scale. Guess it depends on how much the work costs....

Where is Kellers? any contact info?

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!