New Guy with Questions

• welcome scott :wavey:
    This is getting back to scotts question about the tires and rims and upgrades. i have black american racing rims 15X8 on some 31inx10.5in bf goodrich and they look better i think the jeep looks tougher and the stance is improved i went to rauch creek with that being my one and olny mod, and i was surprised as hell at what it could do. I would say come on a ride stock to try it out i now know that i want to continue off roading and want to go on bigger stuff i am going to be getting a 2.75 in lift from old man emu and 32 in tires before summer is out.(almost have all the money i need) I am still not going to have the stuff to run the big trails but i will be able to run most of the stuff that i am comfortable on for now. trust me come to a meeting or get in touch with someone near you and start talking to them about what they think all of the guys(and girls no i had not forgotten you girls so calm down, they have helped me alot) in the club the have been very helpful to me in answering all of my questions even as annoying as some of them are. Just ask questions like you are you will learn so much from just doing that it will amaze you.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Hi there Scott :wavey:

To start off what size tires were you thinking. I am running a set of 33x12.50 BFG mud tires and love them.

When you move to larger tire sizes you also have to keep in consideration your gear ratios. I have 4.11's and it's a pain when going up hill and with a strong head wind, don't get me wrong it's still easily a daily driver. I would also not go larger than 35's on mine without new gears.

As far as wheels, for tire widths up to 13.50 you want a 15x8 with at least a 4" back space, I've got a 3" back space. The back spacing is the distance the wheel mounts from the back edge. For example a 3" back space will stick out farther than a 4" back space but will allow for a little more clearance.

Another question asked is do I go with Mud or All terrain, that is something you will have to figure out depending out your driving habits. Like I said, I love my mud terrains even as a daily driver, they ride a little rougher than all terrains but sure can get through some stuff.

• :hmm:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't expect this much help. The wheels I have now say 31x10x15. Mostly this jeep will be used for daily driving, not too much off road, but I still want it to look good! I was looking for some black wheels to put the same tires on, for now. Where can I find some of them? All I have found is American Racing, nothing wrong with them, but I don't like the red and blue stripe around the edge. Is there anywhere I can look for more (online)?
    Another question - How do I find out if my wheels right now are 15x7 or 15x8's? and if they are 15x7's can I take the same tires and put them on 15x8's until i buy bigger tires? And how do I find out the gear ratios?

-----Like I said - when it comes to cars, i don't know anything.

:usa: slapscott

• I got my black rims from 4wheelparts.com they are black rock crawlers i think they were like $40 a rim for a 15x8. You should be fine running a 31 on a 15x8, I believe that is the same setup omaha is running. I would also agree with everyone else, that you should wheel it like it is to see what kind and how much lift you need. I really wanted a 4.5" lift and 35's, but I ran my jeep at paragon the first time with just skids and a set of 31x11.50 swampers and decided that it would be more worth while to just do a small lift and 32's until i learn how to handle it better.

• Quote from "Slapscott6"

:hmm: All I have found is American Racing, nothing wrong with them, but I don't like the red and blue stripe around the edge.

:usa: slapscott[/b]

From what I understand, the pinstripes wipe right off with a little nail polish remover. :razz:

• if you look at my earloer post i am running the sae tires that you are on the 15x8 rim and it works fine and mine is a dd.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Can you put 33's or 35 inch tires on a 15X8 wheel? or should you go with a bigger wheel? Does it make that much difference?

• Quote from "Slapscott6"

[b]Can you put 33's or 35 inch tires on a 15X8 wheel?

Yes you can. As long as you don't go wider than say a 13.5 tire. Not exactly sure of the "max" width you fit on an 8" rim. My 35x12.50 tires are mounted on 15x8's.

• Yes. The 33" or 35" is not the part you need to worry about in that respect, as that's the "height" of the tire. You need to worry about the "width", the 12.5" in 33" x 12.5". I'm not sure what the max is on an 8" wide rim (in 15 x 8 rim, the 15 is again the "height", and the 8" is the width). I currently have 33" x 12.5" on 15 x 8 rims. My rims have always been 15 x 8 on this Jeep, and the tires have been 30" x 9.5" (stock), 31" x 10.5", and now the 33's. So you can see a variety of widths can fit on a rim size.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!