front locker question

• So I'm driving to work this morning from beautiful downtown Bowers Beach, and the roads turn icy. "No problemo" I think, and reach down and engage 4HI. This is the first time I've tried to use 4HI on anything but a trail since putting the LockRight in up front. The wheel feels CRAZY now. My guess is that each wheel is fighting every other wheel to get traction and making the Jeep jump or jerk constantly. Not bad, still certainly manageable and driveable, but is that right? And is it okay to drive it that way on icy/snowy roads? I'd like to think I could still use 4HI on the highway if it was raining heavily, but I can't imagine driving it like this too much.

DrJ

• I would never use 4Hi in the rain, it is meant for situations where you have wheel slip. I very rarely even use it in the snow, unless the roads are entirely covered. This is especially true with a front locker, and yes those characteristics you felt are from the front locker

• front locker + road + snow/ice = scary

it's been a popular topic on the nationwide offroad forums lately.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Quote from "DrJ"

My guess is that each wheel is fighting every other wheel to get traction and making the Jeep jump or jerk constantly.
    DrJ

You used the words "jump or jerk constantl" to describe your experience. It tells me that you have too much traction for 4WD. Turthle is right, you should not use 4HI in rainy and wet condition. What speeed are you running? The higher the speed the more jerking will result on the pavement.

However, if you experienced jump or jerk in icy condtion, then it is totally different situation.

Signature turned off by the Administrator

• That's the benefit of a selectable locker up front (which is probably also why they are expensive).

How does a limited slip up front behave compared to a locker?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• By the way Linyee, as much as I can appreciate the humor of the sig pic, I think it is generally going to be considered offensive. I hope you'll understand that it is likely offensive to others in this club as well and remove it. I'd certainly prefer it was your choice to remove it, and please realize I have no other agenda than to keep the site family-friendly and respectful to everyone.

Thanks,

Steve

• lighten up guys I am so tired of the pc thing. what offensive to one is not offensive to others. who made who the censure police

I may not agree with your words but Ill defend tothe death your right to say them
    Voltair

• Quote from "gumby"

who made who the censure police

um, starting next month - we did! regardless, any member has the right to look out for the club's best interest. and since our "best" interest is how we promote ourselves as a family friendly forum then anyone could see where that pic may cause issues.
    chris (kicks the beehive)

• yeah, it's a family forum, would you see that on the Disney Channel? you should probably take it out of your sig... :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I'd prefer he remove it in the spirit of the atmosphere most of us would prefer to keep here. If you happen to not be one of those, I completely understand and respect your opinion, so show up in two years and direct the club in the direction YOU think it wants to go. I'm not in a position yet to suggest to the BOD that it be removed, but will be in a couple of weeks. If it is still there that day I become President of this club, I'll ask the BOD to have it removed immediately. If they agree, it goes bye-bye whether he likes it or not. If they don't agree, I'll modify my behavior in regards to these things accordingly so that my public comments and decisions try to better reflect the overall opinion of the club.

It certainly isn't the place of a mere guest to add content to this club's website that portrays anything other than a positive attitude to all members and potential members of DeJA. Am I all for a sterile, safe, completely PC DeJA website? If you know me, you know better.

I have friends in this club who find this offensive, that's enough for me.

DrJ

• Quote from "whatevah"

yeah, it's a family forum, would you see that on the Disney Channel? you should probably take it out of your sig... :)

That's a little too far the OTHER way for me, but I get your drift.

DrJ

• hehehehe ::xmaswacky

Jerry / Whatevah

• personally and all its great to look at, but this is a jeep club, not another club. if i want to look at that i know where to go....

so if you want to find someone it offends, you found em. im here for jeeps, not chicks.

• Quote from "Slimer"

That's the benefit of a selectable locker up front (which is probably also why they are expensive).

How does a limited slip up front behave compared to a locker?

So, does a limited slip up front behave better on the road? I've been thinking of locking the front but I drive mine enough on the road that I don't want the bad characteristics in the snow.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I am running a truetrac up front and it works great on and offroad, I cant tell its there. It will bang every once in a while though when taking off or backing up with the wheels turned though but nothing like a locker. I would definetly do it this way again. BTW, I also have one in the rear.

• Quote from "rafartist"

I am running a truetrac up front and it works great on and offroad, I cant tell its there. It will bang every once in a while though when taking off or backing up with the wheels turned though but nothing like a locker. I would definetly do it this way again. BTW, I also have one in the rear.

How is it in the snow? Will it plow out in the turn when you give it gas?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!