front locker question

• This is the first time I've ever noticed the LockRight, other than the clicking. I remember when we got the Libby, that if it was raining really hard, or it was a cold, black-ice kinda night, I could leave it in 4HI. Robin knew if the roads were sketchy to pull the 4WD lever for a little piece of mind, but only if the road conditions were bad and getting worse. So does my TJ have a different 4WD system? I didn't think so, but maybe it does. Now with the LockRight up front (and TrackLock in the back), I can't use 4WD like that anymore? It would have to be really icy/snowy now for me to engage the front based on how it drove on Friday on just icy roads.

DrJ

• Hey Slimer
    I haven't had it in 4 wheel drive in the snow yet to tell. I dont usually use it unless its impassable otherwise.

• The 4wd system is exactly the same but that is not what the 4wd system in a jeep is intended to do as there will be no wheel slippage which is very very bad for the t-case. Rain and nights where you may hit an icy patch are where AWD has a huge advantage over 4wd since the center differential is viscous vs the fully locked t-case of the jeep. But the key word in that statement is differential, anytime you have a fully locked differential, just like you do in the front or in the t-case, you have the 2 opposing forces fighting each other if there is no wheel slippage, which causes the odd handling characteristics and increased stress on internal parts. Like I said in my first post, I almost never use 4wd on the road, the only exception is if the road is 75% snow covered or better.

• ok...got it. Odd though, there were probably dozens of times we were in bad conditions that I used 4HI on the KJ, and I never felt the fight.

Good stuff turtle...thanks! No more 4HI in heavy rain.

DrJ

• Quote from "joo"

so since we are on the locker questions, anyone have experince on a aussie locker?

i run open both front a rears, and i gotta do something.

talk to bluej...i believe he put one in the front of his tj as a replacement for a noslip or something.
    chris

• They are almost identical to a lock-right. It is a good cheap way to get a locker in your axle without doing a full gear install. The downsides are they are not as strong as a full carrier locker and they are not as smooth.

• Quote from "joo"

so since we are on the locker questions, anyone have experince on a aussie locker?

i run open both front a rears, and i gotta do something.

I have the Aussie locker in BlueJ. Turtle is correct, it's virtually the same as the lock-rite (he should know, he swapped my lock-rite out and Aussie in).

I don't use 4WD except for on the trail, and the Aussie works very well there. As with all lockers, my turning radius is impeded with 4WD engaged, but I just account for it on the trail.

My personal feeling is that selectable lockers (OX, ARB, Eaton) are just too much to think about on the trail, I prefer to just point and go. And Aussie and Lock-Rite are a lot cheaper than the selectable ones.

• I'm running the Powertrax No-slip lunch box locker in the rear and it never makes any noises or gives quirky handling. I think it's pretty smooth. But I don't have experience with anything else.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Would it be better to put a locker in the rear or the front? I'm open all the way right now, and when I go to change the diff fluid at right around 25-30,000 I might as well do something then.

Maybe one of you experincend locker guys can help me out...?

• Quote from "joo"

Would it be better to put a locker in the rear or the front? I'm open all the way right now, and when I go to change the diff fluid at right around 25-30,000 I might as well do something then.

Maybe one of you experincend locker guys can help me out...?

i think if u had to pick which to do first
    i have heard the front
    could be wrong tho

mine already has them so im not sure
    lol

• do the rear first. the front axle is the weakest point, so locking that and not having the rear will put alot more stress on the front. plus its alot harder to steer with a locker in the front than it is in the rear.

• Quote from "bmf24"

do the rear first. the front axle is the weakest point, so locking that and not having the rear will put alot more stress on the front. plus its alot harder to steer with a locker in the front than it is in the rear.

true its harder to turn with the front engaged
    and i suppose if u were going to do the front it would be a good time
    to install better axles

• Dana 35's are the weakest rear axle you can find in a modern jeep. A Dana 30 maybe weaker than the 35 but it sees much less stress being a front axle. I would never ever ever lock a 35 with stock shafts no matter how small of a tire you are running. I know there are the people out there that will tell you I ran this that or the other thing for 5 years and it was fine. But even if only 35% of 35's break locked with stock shafts, that is a 35% chance of screwing someone elses wheeling day I won't take. That is why I always reccomend locking the front if a dana 35 is in the rear :xmasbiggrin:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!