Rebuild front DS?

• I'm geting a grinding rotational sound from the front end...after tons of research I'v been told Its pry the U-Joints in the front ds have gone bad...my question is....

Is It possible to rebuild one? or atleast clean It up...I want to replace the U-Joints on each end, sand It and repaint It....then regrease It and hopefully It will work like new, is It that easy?

Where can I get the U-Joints, Napa? And do I Just measure to find the right size?

3-1/4th is the 1310s?
    3-5/8's is the ?
    whats the other sizes?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• i get all my ds stuff done at associated truck parts they do a good job repaint everything when they are done but they are a little bit more expensive than everyone esle

• what kinda price am I looking at verse cleaning It up with new Joints myself?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Quote from "rdjp94"

if you want to sand your ds thats up to you.. just dont sand too hard or put too much paint on it or you will throw it out of ballance..

When did Jeep start painting driveshafts ? :lol:

They come new rusty as all get out.

• yup - mine was rusty right off the dealer's lot. i had keller truck parts rebalance mine after a bend on the trail. they don't tack weights on it to balance it - rather they use very slight tweaks to the main tube with a press to balance itself on its own. i like that since there is nothing to knock off on rocks. they put a nice coat of black paint on it afterwards too :) they charged me just over $100...but that included completely replacing the main tube, a new rubber boots w/clamps, and balancing. not sure of the cost of rebuilding one. if you want to do it yourself then check out stu's website - he has some decent pics and a step-by-step writeup on it.
    chris

• I've also taken my stuff to Associated Truck Parts. For new U'joints mounted you're might be looking at $30. Maybe less. I think when they did my drive shafts, since I was getting them lengthened and shortened already, they charged something like $10 per joint.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!