2 D44's in the back of my XJ? hehe?

• So anyone think I can fit 2 D44's in the back of my XJ? Dont have a truck and I have to go 4 hrs each direction to pick them up? I dont have a hitch so I can use a trailer.....Any Idea's?

Quadna I know you put a 8.8 for Icky in the back of you XJ, how'd that fit cause I think the 44's are bigger then the 8.8 and I need room for 2....

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• id say you can do it....with loading them. fold your seats down and take a measurement from the seats to the liftgate. there is your answer

• yea I figured that...my seats are already taken out in the back so as long as thats long enough I should be good, not sure how long waggy axles are though?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• shouldnt be a problem.

I lugged a full width Dana 60 front home in the YJ, only had the tailgate open a few inches. :D

plenty of room in an XJ!

• it was a pretty tight fit - up against the drivers seat and then diagonally across to the tailgate. touched at both ends. i think you could probably get them to fit somehow...but it's gonna seriously weigh you down. that may be the answer on how to get your new springs to settle!
    chris

my jeep chick and her new axle

• yea thats the pic I was lookin for I saw before....haha thats pry atleast 2-300 pounds in the back on the 4 hr trip back from virginia....next time ya'll see me I should have some pics of 2 D44's....hehe ahhh this is gonna be a good year...

• That will be about $80 in gas won't it?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, thanks again for the number for the horse trailer were goin to check It out Friday....but yea the amount of gas Im wasting is the only thing that worry's me....I think going to GWNF, about the same distance (this trip will be 4hr20mins) I filled up twice, 35 bucks a tank....that was a total of around 100ish in gas for my 10mpg rig....I may be tryin to work something out with my mom to borrow her Honda CRV...that things get in the 20's mpg....

• Josh you deff can when you fold the seats down, i put dana 30s in my wrangler to bring home...

• well their out of a J-10, 1/2 ton D44's, been moded to bolt up to an XJ, 6x5.5 bp, the sellers pretty confident their geared to 5.38's but hes not 100% sure, the rear is spooled, and the fronts not locked to his knowledge...

only problem is I have to go pull them, he doesnt have any tools (not even Jackstands or Jacks), so I have to bring my own and hope I dont run Into any problems...Its a 4-1/2 hr drive...so lets say It takes me 4 hours to pull both axles with hand tools :doh: , then 4-1/2 hr drive home...Its gonna be one long ass day....

but the price is totally worth It.....

• Wow, 5.38's I hope you are going to run at the very smallest 39" tires Hopefully you arent' paying any more than $200.00 for both axles as if you factor in your time and cost to go and pull it and the cost to regear to say 4.56's to match your tires. Then add in the new steering you will need ...........Things add up

• hes running 35's on It, and I have an auto tranny....I hear 4.88's are perfect for 35's so why wouldnt 5.38's put me around a 37" tire range? I was thinking the 36x13.50 swampers....

what steering will I have to buy? Its go the tie rods and drag links....

• If it comes with the steering than I guess you dont' need to buy steering, it will be different than stock XJ and there was no mention of it in your previous posts. I have 4.88's with my 37's and would go no lower with the 37's as on-road it would be geared way too high as a daily driver. Just giving you something to look at as I wouldnt' trade my High pinion 30 for a low pinion 44 anyday of the week. Now if the front axle is a hp-44 which I dont' think it is, then it will be a good deal for anything under $1000.00 if it is a low pinion front axle then I stand by my previous statement.

• Quote from "turtle"

If it comes with the steering than I guess you dont' need to buy steering, it will be different than stock XJ and there was no mention of it in your previous posts. I have 4.88's with my 37's and would go no lower with the 37's as on-road it would be geared way too high as a daily driver. Just giving you something to look at as I wouldnt' trade my High pinion 30 for a low pinion 44 anyday of the week. Now if the front axle is a hp-44 which I dont' think it is, then it will be a good deal for anything under $1000.00 if it is a low pinion front axle then I stand by my previous statement.

wellp I didnt want to mention price but Im actually geting both for the $200 price you mentioned. Yours is a 5sp though correct? Thats gonna make a difference in what gearing for me since mine is a automatic, from researching on NAXJA, the guys who drive XJ's with 37's and auto feel that the 5.13-5.38 range is a good area to be in for that size tire. Im guessing since Its a waggy Its LP but the reason you wouldnt trade is because the parts are less ready available correct?

Just something to think about, he was willing to sell the whole rig, which has 8" Lift with drop brackets and custom front stinger for another $600 bucks....would make a good Lift for someone in the club and Im sure I could doley the whole rig home....

• wellp I maybe going your route anyway....I Just found out the rear may have only been regeared to 5.38s and the front hasnt been regeared yet.... :upset: , Which aint a huge deal to me because I wanted to remove the spool from the rear anyway and put a lunchbox In It....I still think Its worth It because their beefy axles that are already set-up for an XJ ready to bolt In, plus It has the warn lockout hubs in the front....And that axles should be strong enough for up to 37's If I ever decide to go that big...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!