Air tanks

• stopped by good ol harbor freight today and noticed some air tanks...had a thought...

I currently use a MV1050 Air compressor for filling up my tires...It does ok fills a tire from 15-30 in a minute, I think It runs around 2.5 CFM, It draws 30 amps, and Its rated at 125PSI I believe.

I was thinking of hard mounting this tank http://www.harborfreight.com/c…item.taf?Itemnumber=40057 in the back of my XJ, with the compressor mounted to It. Other then the concern that It will pry take the compressor 10 mins to fill the 10 gallon tank (Just a guess on my part), How quick do you think It will run out trying to run air tools and filling up tires? Or do you think It will even be possible to run air tools from a 10 gallon tank? Was hoping to run maybe a Impact wrench, grinder/cut-off wheel...thats about It? Your thoughts please[/list][/code][/url]

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• oh yea, may run an ARB on my 8.25 later when more doe comes in....thoughts?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• you will have a hard time hooking up the tank unless you pull off the valve it has now and replace it with a T fitting and quick connect. i would suggest an air tank from an air suspension setup. you can get them with multiple bungs in them for drains, input, pressure release, fitting

dont think with 2.5 cfm you will get much work done. might help out in an emergency but most impact guns will take that 10 gallon reserve in a couple shots

• 2.5 cfm is not enough to run air tools it will not recover fast enough . Unless you put in a 200 gallon tank

85 cj7 4&quot; suspension 1&quot; body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9&quot; / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• well thanks for being honest guys, this is something I dont know a whole lot about....

Quote from "85cj7"

2.5 cfm is not enough to run air tools it will not recover fast enough . Unless you put in a 200 gallon tank

200 gallon? Holy crap! so is there some formula you guys have so I can figure this out for future reference?

So If I had a york compressor in the engine It would be enough? What CFM do they put out?

• yes a york compressor would do it , not sure what the cfm is on them but I know they have a few deferent ones . The higher the cfm the better you are . I am going to add another compressor to my jeep . I can run air tools now just not for long periods of time . I can take one tire off then have to let it catch up . But if I had a bigger tank it would help .

85 cj7 4&quot; suspension 1&quot; body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9&quot; / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• what you guys think about this set-up with the 10 gallon tank? Doesnt seem to Intense and uses my stock sanden compressor without moving alot around....http://www.creeperjeep.net/oba.htm
    Sounds like I would only need a few parts?

• Also the mane reason people use a york type compressor is the york has its own oil system built in . That way you don't have to do what I did and that is add an inline oiler

• Mine is a sanden type . I have a 3 gallon tank comes on when it drops down to 90 psi shuts of when it gets to 135 psi .

• Quote from "XJ99"

So If I had a york compressor in the engine It would be enough? What CFM do they put out?

The York 210 is rated like 4 cfm at 90 psi at 1200 RPM (compressor).

Supposed to be capable of 8 cfm.

Grinders and drills are huge air hogs, if you plan on doing much work like that, I'd invest in an AC powered shop compressor.

For occasional use and certainly for an impact gun and airing up, the York is awesome.

• If you want a free air tank to try I have some old flat bed trailers (18 wheeler trailers)at my job.They have 2 tanks each and I have 3 trailers all together.Hell now that I think about it im going out there and getting me one.This summer They will go to the salvage yard so if anyone wants one come and get it.Im in Newcastle.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!