Sputtering

• So I was driving along Kirkwood Hwy today and got into a turing lane to turn into a shopping center :driving: . Long story short, I ended up plowing through a larger slush pile on my way in, nothing too big though. Not thinking anything of it, I turned the jeep off and went into the store. I came back out and the front was smoking a little bit.

Now the check engine light is on and I keep losing power. I have stalled out a couple times when I went into neutral. :anger:

What did I do?
    Can I fix it. :lie:

• take me for a ride sometime, i think illl be able to tell what it is... :hmm:

• if it was slush and not ice you could have sucked up the watery mix and now you just have to run it till it all blows out, i used to do it all the time when, but if it were ice it could be anything, like dented the exhaust and now your chocking it of power??

and meeper was the an attempted pick up line.... if not i think i might use it

• Its was like 1:30pm and the slush felt really soft, I dont think there was ice. But I did run it a decent amount afterwards (20 miles on and off) and no improvement. Thats actually when it started stalling out in neutral. Since its cold out now, is the water going to freeze in the engine.... grrr this sucks

As a side note; prior to this when I would first start up the jeep, or even after I would run it for a while then shut it down and start it back up again, I would sometimes start sputtering/looseing power for a second till I changed gears or backed off a lot then gave it gas again.

I dont know if this has anything to do with what is going on now and it just got worse, or that I just got some water in the engine..

I hope it's just water in the engine.

• no fuel filters on tj's
    well there are but r not servicable
    did u try to get the codes from the computer ?
    try the key on and off three times w/o starting it
    a series of #'s will display
    write em down and let us know
    that may help figure ut out

• You might try dumping a bottle of gas line anti-freeze in the tank. That should take any moisture out of the gas if you got any in.

The smoking coming from the front end is curious though. It could be steam coming from the melting snow and ice but that shouldn't last too long.

Check the engine for any loose or disconnected tubes, wires or whatever. You may have had one get knocked off by a piece of ice.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I did a quick look at the jeep earlier when it first happend. I got most of the slush off and stuff. I checked for loose lines, oil level, etc.
    It didnt smoke tooo much.

Its got 106700 miles on it.

When I try the key thing where are the numbers going to show up? where the miles are displayed?

• ok.. did you check the air filter? and it could be the alternator.. it could have been going.. and the cold water snow cracked the windings.. mine was acting crazy and then died one day.. it just wasnt putiting out enough juice.. to run stuff so the battery was bad..
    it could also be water in the distributer cap?? do tj's even have those.. i know the cj's were notorious for having leaky caps.. ive been lucky with mine.. but not knowing the maintence of her jeep..
    and hot stuff getting splashed with cold water slush.. makes parts rapidly shrink..

• Quote from "lizigirl"

Do I have to hook something up to get the numbers?

I think your TJ is 2001 or so. You should be able to check the code by turning the key from off to on (not to start) three times in quick succession. The code should pop up where the odometer usually is. No special equipment is needed.

I think we have a link to what the codes mean, on this site, I'll take a look for it.

If you decide you need professional help, I'd suggest Brian Casper (MOPARTECH) at Holly Oak 4X4 before trying a stealership...

• fuel filters are servicable, but they are in the tank....gosh.... :soapbox:

• its a 1997 TJ

I tried doing the turing the key thing and I didnt get the numbers to come up.

I have to go to Jersey tomorrow (long drive). I'll take the jeep to see if maybe (hopefully) it will clear up.

Quote from "bmf24"

its probibly the ign system. either the wires are bad or the dist cap got wet

I really think that it happend from the slush, so maybe its not the wires, but would just running it dry ou the dist cap?

• Quote from "turtle"

If the check engine light is still on tomorrow, I have a code reader that you can use to see what it is...

jeez mike what tools don't you have???

• Quote from "lizigirl"

I really think that it happend from the slush, so maybe its not the wires, but would just running it dry ou the dist cap?

It could crack the distributor cap. Take some WD40, remove each spark plug wire and spray it on the contacts. Do both ends. Also, remove the distributor cap and spray WD40 in there and wipe it out. WD40 is a water displacer (among other things). When you remove the cap check for hair line cracks inside.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!