Rubicon as a daily driver?

• First off, this jeep community is pretty impressive. I had no idea jeeping was so involved.

My '03 stratus R/T is in need of some significant repairs, and I was already planning on replacing it soon. I love Jeeps, and have always wanted one, and think I'm ready to make the plunge. However, I drive to KoP everyday (yes that's a helluva commute), and while I know the wrangler will never be as smooth as the car was, will it at least be tolerable on the highway doing 70-90 mph? How much wind noise is there past 60 mph, how much vibration, and would I even get the bottom end of 15 mpg?

I need advice fairly quickly so anything you can shoot me would be great. I think that if I do get the jeep, I'll be getting into some wheeling, as I already go camping and to the beach often, so it won't exclusively be a 'point a to b' vehicle.

-Tom

• well i drive right now to the stadium in phily from newark DE. in a 94 wrangler with 31's on it.. i can easily do 70 by the spedo prolly actually 75.. its a bit noisy but i got a better radio.. as for the bumps ive always driven jeeps since 16 im 30 now so i really dont notice it.. a rubi drives much smoother.. im getting 15-20 mpg on a 4 banger that has 160000 plus miles on it.. i say go for it.. if i had the money right now id proly look at a rubicon or a unlimited rubicon.. i think its a great place to start with a brand new jeep.. stock tires on the jeep would prolly improve ride and comfort as well as gas milage.. i think its doable.. the new soft tops are much quieter than ever and a hard top is not much different than a car.. take one for a test drive (not sure where your at.. but if you go to newark.. ask to take it down I-95 from 273 to 896 to see if it suits you.. thats going to be the best feedback you can get..
    welcome to here and I hope you get a jeep and if you do.. please stick around...

Rob

• howdy! be careful, if you hang around these guys long, you'll Just Empty Every Pocket to buy more goodies for the Jeep. ;)

as for gas mileage, stock Jeeps can get around 18mpg around 65 (my Cherokee averaged around 20mpg on a long trip up to the poconos and back, doing around 65-70), after that, it just keeps dropping. manual transmissions are a little better, but oh boy... Jeeps love gas! the good news, they have tons of power, quick on road, and almost unstoppable offroad (unless you get yourself in some deep mud)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• my first 30,000 miles on my 03 wrangler X were from landenberg to west chester (route 1-202-boot road) new soft tops are impressive compared to the old soft tops (also have 95YJ) my soft top on my 03 is as quiet as my hard top on my YJ.

before i lifted it and put 33's on it i was very happy with gas mileage . had 31's on it before that and used to drive to pittsburgh on weekends.

id say go ahead and jump in. keep in mind the 07 will be a new body style and have some other goodies. hope to see you around more...dont forget the "jeep wave" buy a jeep and you are part of the family..drive a jeep and it is a lifestyle

• Quote from "whatevah"

howdy! be careful, if you hang around these guys long, you'll Just Empty Every Pocket to buy more goodies for the Jeep. ;)

Dont tell him that.... then we can't tell him what cool new stuff to get. :yevil:

• Thanks for the fast feedback!

Quote from "rdjp94"

but if you go to newark.. ask to take it down I-95 from 273 to 896 to see if it suits you.. thats going to be the best feedback you can get..

That's exactly what I was going to do at NJE tommorrow afternoon

Quote from "MellowYellow"

my first 30,000 miles on my 03 wrangler X were from landenberg to west chester (route 1-202-boot road)

Have / had you ever driven 896->841->1->82->926->202? I go 95/202 up and backroads back.

I love driving them backroads in 3'rd at 4-5k RPM but I think with the Jeep those days may be over =)

Quote from "MellowYellow"

keep in mind the 07 will be a new body style and have some other goodies

I've seen the '07 and I think I like the look of the current model better. Unfortunately timing won't allow me to wait. Fortunately I'm getting emp price thanks to family. So it evens out.

And I won't forget to wave =)

(where the hell are the normal smilies on these boards....)

• [quote="THalladay"]T
    Have / had you ever driven 896->841->1->82->926->202? I go 95/202 up and backroads back.

I love driving them backroads in 3'rd at 4-5k RPM but I think with the Jeep those days may be over =)

well once you get the hang of it.. and when your alone.. they are pretty stable on street curves.. i drive kaolin rd and rt 82 between kennet and hockessen pretty frequently.. i drive in 3rd gear btwn 4-5k rpms.. its prolly not as fast as you.. but the back roads are fun... especiallly in the snow :innocent:
    personally i preferr the back roads whenever possible... just dont like freeways much.. even less since I came back from living in the Sanfrancisco area...
    Rob

if they give you a hard time about the test drive let me know.. i got a dealer down there who owes me a favor...

• i would suggest going to newark chrysler jeep, i know right now they are offering 0% financing on 2006 wranglers. i used to work there, and i know they are maxing on what they give for trade ins, i suggest going in and asking for tony stanley and he will give u a great deal. i used to work there and he is probably the best salesman there. but good luck with the jeep

BRYAN

• hell yes a rubi makes a good daily driver
    tho any jp makes a great d/d imo
    my 03 rubi has 104,000 miles on her
    it goes to S.C at least 4 times a year with no problems
    i have 33's ,stock gearing
    a swing away and a winch
    i can travel down 95s on the way to S.C
    and be just fine with my softtop
    i dont have to yell so my fiancee can hear me
    (tho my only complaint would be the speed govener)
    besides from minor pm
    i havent had a single major issue with her
    this is my 5th jp and i enjoy working on it
    so i keep up on it alot

as for gas that may be a turning point
    with the 19 gallon tank i can see an average of about
    200 miles
    if u have any questions feel free to ask
    and welcome to the boards

• As one of the people "on the list" for an '07, this is why I've changed my mind an will keep my '02 TJ:

Even my wife commented on the 5" WIDER body (the Jeeps...). She and I both agree that on the trails we like, adding 5" to the WIDTH could really be problematic. She remembers many a trail where she looked out her side to see if I was gonna clear a tree or rock and saw an inch or so clearance, certainly MUCH less than 5"!!

I can't say something won't change my mind later, but right now that 0% offer and thew possibility of getting an '06 Rubi at that rate seems mighty inticing!

DrJ

• Nother daily driven Rubi here. Have not one complaint. Its a Jeep, so its loud, rough and sometimes annoying, but you get used to it.

almost 12000 miles in the last year.

gas mileage=15.9 at best(i drive over 80 most of the time)

Im switching to all terrains for personal preference.

• Well I just got back from NCJ, everything looks a go, they are picking up my rubi from Norristown tommorrow morning and hopefully I'll be taking delivery tommorrow afternoon. I can't wait! Thanks for all the input, I feel alot safer about getting it as a daily driver now.

See ya'll on the road!

• what color are you going with? and are you getting full doors and hard top or dual tops and half doors or what ?

welcome to the jeep world its an expensive hobby but its a fun one
    dont forget to wave!

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• i wish i had gone with a rubi, or a sport...something with a d44 in back. I kind of am stuck at a certain level with a d35 unless I upgrade it.......so make sure you just get something with a d44.......

and i've had the jeep for less than a year...and im approaching the 24,000 mile mark...bought it brand new...

• The one I'm getting:

Bright Silver Metallic Rubicon
    Full metal doors
    Soft top (black)
    6-speed Manual
    Security Package
    6-Disc CD
    Sirius
    Speed Control
    Floor mats
    3.2 Additional Gallons of Gas :?

Yeah I average 25k miles per year, glad to hear this one should hold up well!

• congrats..cant wait to see it ..as for the 896-841-1-82-926-202-boot that was my exact route (are you my neighbor??)

i used to mix it up with the 896-796-1-52-926-202-boot for change of scenery.

• Quote from "MellowYellow"

congrats..cant wait to see it ..as for the 896-841-1-82-926-202-boot that was my exact route (are you my neighbor??)

i used to mix it up with the 896-796-1-52-926-202-boot for change of scenery.

2 Fridays ago when it was like 65 degrees and beautiful weather, on the drive home, there wasn't a single car the entire stretch on 826. It was beautiful.... I would pay money to be able to do that run traffic-free more often....

I never take the backroads on the trip up because traffic isn't usually that bad, and I gotta hit up the Wawa on 202, but coming back the traffic on 52 getting on to 1 was enough to keep me on 926 down to 82(?) to 1.

• I go from Oxford to west chester monday thru friday I go 1 N to newark rd to 842 in to west chester take me 40 to 45 min.

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• nice! :)

oh, let me be the first to warn you... the canal is not a place for legal offroading. you can get a ticket for going off the access trails down there. And, the rangers sometimes use unmarked SUVs there. I'd hate for you to get a big ticket right after getting such a nice Jeep! :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!