Wrenchfest Wanted YJ Lift - location, tools, assistance

• Just ordered my lift from Bob Supplee (Rough Country 4" with Nitro Shocks). Should be in early next week.

Looking for location with applicable tools :welder: and assistance :ghug: . I will provide food and beverages the day of...

Maybe shooting for Sunday the 12th? Can it be done before the meeting if started early? If not maybe weekend of 17th?

Thanks in advance! - Ying

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• it would be cool if you could get it finished before the meeting... as for the possibility of that... how much PB Blaster do you have? :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• You wont need much more then 4 or 5 hours. go buy all new bolts so oyou have them. then you can just cut and go. 4" grinder with cut off wheels is the best. just cut the u bolts and leaf spring bolts. If you get help from the experienced ones it can be done in about 2 to 3 hours easy.

• I am going to pb blast everything starting tomorrow but am planning on getting new bolts so a cut off wheel will save lots of time. I am not sure if the kit comes with hardware so I will wait and see when I get it and go get it if it does not. Hopefully someone in Dover has tools/experience and we could get it done before the meeting.

Heck, we start early enough...I'll do donoughts and java also...

• I find that whenever I try to rush and get something done by a certain time it never works out..

something always seems to go wrong..

• Hey Kevin,
    If you wanna do it Sun the 12th, you can use my garage.

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• it will come with new u bolts but i havent seen one yet come with leafspring hanger bolts. Measure them and go to napa and get new grade 8. I wont be around the next 2 weekends or i would help ya. It realy is a simply lift. I have done them dozens of times

• Chuck your garage would be real convienient!!!! Do you mind? Do you have tools? Other than normal hand tools, I don't have anything. Air may be good but a cut off wheel and torque wrench would be key. Also some knowledable assistacne.

Lets set it for Sunday. What time can you/would you want to start? I can go early as is wanted.

I will slip down and talk to you about it sometime in the next few days.

Thanks.

• I have air tools (including cut off tool) as well as 3 3.5 ton floor jacks-->one w/ long throw arm. While I wouldn't state that there's no tool I don't have, I did have everything I needed to install everything that's on my jeep without any help.

As long as you have the instructions that come with your parts, I feel we can make it happen....but it would definitely be a plus to have someone present who's had YJ experience

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• Quote from "chukwagen"

I have air tools (including cut off tool) as well as 3 3.5 ton floor jacks-->one w/ long throw arm. While I wouldn't state that there's no tool I don't have, I did have everything I needed to install everything that's on my jeep without any help.

As long as you have the instructions that come with your parts, I feel we can make it happen....but it would definitely be a plus to have someone present who's had YJ experience

I'll see if I can swing by after church. I have done YJ lifts and know what is involved.

you may need a pitman arm puller.
    and a good grinder to remove the main eye bolts. that will be frozen in if you still have stock springs.
    if you are going 4+ inchec we may need to drop the transfer case skid plate to prevent vibrations.

Plan on a full day of work on a YJ lift

• I have a pitman arm puller, and an electric Hitachi grinder....but I was wondering could we use my plasma cutter in some of those instances?

• Quote from "chukwagen"

I have a pitman arm puller, and an electric Hitachi grinder....but I was wondering could we use my plasma cutter in some of those instances?

what happens in the Main eye bolts will rust inside the spring eye.
    No turning or pounding will get them out.

the best way of doing it is to

1. cut off the head and nut grind it smooth to the outside of the hanger
    you can then bend the brackets out letting the spring drop out of the hanger.

you can use a torch to cut the head and nut off but you still need to grind it smooth with the outside of the hanger.

OR

2 use a sawzall or thin grinder to cut inbetween the spring and the bracket
    this will cut or burn through the rubber and the bolt.

Also if the pitman arm will not come off a thin grinder cut on the back of the strap will get it to break free. Just cut the strap and not the steering box. This will ruin the stock pitman arm so have the new one there to replace it .

• ....yeah, I kind of figured this was going to take the better part of a day, but I figure if I skip church (just this one Sun :lie: ) maybe we could wrap it up before the meeting. Kevin (Ying) and I live in "Planters woods" which is a new developement off of W. Denneys Rd just west of the Dover-Kenton Rd/W. Denneys Rd intersection.

My contact info is in the Members section....

Also if the pitman arm will not come off a thin grinder cut on the back of the strap will get it to break free. Just cut the strap and not the steering box. This will ruin the stock pitman arm so have the new one there to replace it .

Plan on having to do this. I tried two different pullers (broke one), heat, prybars etc. and ended up having to literally cut mine all the way down the back side to get it to come off. I think it was one of the biggest PIA of the whole lift. A couple of other quick things I remember from doing my 4" lift last summer: If you are not using degree shims in the front (most likely not) then make sure you centering pin is not too long. I did not check mine and after bolting EVERYTHING back down tight I realized this and had to take it all back apart to remove a small plastic spacer so as not to damage the axle tubes :upset: . If you are going with longer brake lines (recommended), use line wrenches! I tried without and all it did was round off the nuts at the factory fitting which in turn caused another huge headache. One last side note, if your new front shackles come with nylon lock nuts, only torque them to about 50-60 ft. lbs. regardless of what the directions say (I think mine called for 80-90) or you will end up pinching the bushing and it will not flex like it is supposed to. That's all I can think of for now, I will post up if more comes back to me. I will try to see if I can come down and lend a hand but my wife is due any day with our second and I live about an hour away, so you know how it goes. I think it's possible to knock it out in one day with a couple of extra hands but plan on a really LONG day.........

• Just a note
    I see his Jeep is a 90 so the main eye bolts have been in there for
    16 years ....... they will be rusted in. :fart:

be careful not to cut or burn into the hanger brackets

• sounds like I may need your guidance, so if you are able to stop by I'll be grateful. One thing I've always said is that... "in the multitude of counsel, there is safety"....I'd hate to mess up Kevin's jeep.

• From the email from Bob, not sure if I will get it this week. I think the best thing to do is postpone...Will let you all know once it comes in...Ying

• Quote from "ying"

From the email from Bob, not sure if I will get it this week. I think the best thing to do is postpone...Will let you all know once it comes in...Ying

Do you think it will be in by the 12th?

I'm going to be out of commission starting on the 14th so if it comes in we can do it on Sunday the 12th... if not then I may not make it for about 3 weeks.

• that would throw me out of the mix for about 2 wks based on prior comittments.....lmk

If we are on for the 12th, any/all that wanna come by are welcome (as always) :peace:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!