Stock spare tire mount problem

• After my 33's were mounted, I threw the spare on (YJ). My problem is that the tire tread gets in the way and won't let me open the tail gate :shrug: Do I just need to add some washers and new bolts for the carrier to move it away from the jeep and inch or so?

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• ying you'll have to get a heavy duty mount. thet made to raise the tire and there thicker ( lack of correct treminogy ) to allow clearance. Q-tec has them. and most other jeep catalogs.

• Thanks Monte...thought I had read that you could put a 33 on a stock carrier??

• Chris somehow fit mine onto my TJ, but it might have had something to do with the tire being 10.5 instead of 12.5...and I think he got crafty with some PVC for spacing too, because I don't have a body lift, and the tire wouldn't fit above my rear bumper without some sort of spacing...

Not sure how YJ's work though...

• Yeah, I got my 33x12.5 on the stock carrier w/ no mods except for a body lift. You may need to get new wheels with less backspacing...

• Not sure :shrug: The latch is what catches the tread (and it is not real good) when opening it and then I have to hit it to get it unstuck. If I can't rig something, I will pull the carrier off and only throw it on for trail rides.

• well you could do what im doing and go to a cj style tire carrier..
    they are more sturdy.. and if you weld a bigger box on the back you could put whatever size tire you wanted...
    watch soon for details on the board...
    or pm me with questions...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!