Trail Report-Sat. trip to paragon

• Well the day got off without a hitch

I was in modified group, and we were running green to tripple blue. Andrew lead us, and except for one spot on a hill, everyone was getting along good. Chris had some damage from that spot, but made it out intact. Ian managed to puncture one of his brand new 35"s. We stopped for lunch, and met up with the stock group. After lunch we swapped leaders (Joe took over for andrew) and we proceeded to go back up turtle, to head to wampum (i think). Joe broke a u-joint, but after some quick repairs we were on our way again. Then all hell broke loose :sniffle:

as we were climbing a fairly difficult rock section (largest I have ever been on) I heard the dredded sound of metel breaking. Thinking it was my rear driveshaft, I was mistaken. The 2" lift block on the passenger side had split into several pieces, spinning the rear axle leaving the pinion facing the sky. Thanks to brain and his friend, and joe and everyone else that helped out, they were able to get the axle spun back around the right way and tighten one of the u bolts. The other had stretched and strpped the threads. We then noticed the other block was cracked and an accident waiting to happen.
    :lie:

So I made it out alive, and nursed it back to the staging area where andrew, was so very generous enought o let me drive his tj, home while he trailered my xj :tup:

So the moral of the story is , when you know you should have bought the 300$ spring packs, dont use the cheap 30$ pep boys blocks!

And aside from the driver tire being chewed up by the fender, everyone got home. So it was a good idea at 4am when my sister askes, "do you want me to drive one of the other trucks there, in case something happens, we can all get home". Good lookin' out sis!

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• Glad to hear you were able to make it home okay! :peace:
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Heh...yup :up: :up: to Andrew for unloading BlueJ and toting Paul's XJ home. I've got a couple pics from earlier in the day but the batteries in my digital camera died early...I pasted a couple below, the rest are here: http://ian.clendaniel.net/gallery/paragon071704

--Ian

[/img]

• Quote from "James"

Ian, Are you hositng those pictures on a cable modem? because they take forever to download!!!!

Heheh...shhh, it's not a cable modem :suspicious: :rollsmile: It adds to the suspense!

I guess I need to PM you the bug I just saw posting those pics :doh: ...then you'll be too busy to complain about my connection. :laughing: :laughing:

--Ian

• I was wondering if Joe or Andrew could post there pictures here or in the gallery. I'm going to have to get a digital camera so I can start to post mine.
    Thanks
    Brian

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

So it was a good idea at 4am when my sister askes, "do you want me to drive one of the other trucks there, in case something happens, we can all get home". Good lookin' out sis!

I was wondering who had that bright idea.. Or was it really cause and effect?

I had a good time too, we had fun and no major breakage (at least on MY watch :suspicious: ), but a couple of dents and such. It was some beautiful weather, too.

I'll put up whatever pictures I took, but probably not until later this week...

• It was a GREAT day. Nice weather and alot of fun on the trails. Nice to see some new faces on the trails!!
    I am glad to report no trail damage..............well, atleast not to my jeep!! :doh: I managed to fall on one of the trails and hit a rock, my knee is scrapped up pretty good and it really hurts to walk. And of course it had to be my clutch leg, so I only drove till lunch. Thankfully Chris (JeepSahara) came to my rescue and drove my jeep for the rest of the day, and that meant that Erica (Icky) got to drive his jeep. All in All it turned out to be a good day.
    I'll try to post my few pics in a few days. Our computer crashed yesterday and we got it back up and running, but I have to reload all of our programs.

• Glad you all had a good time. I opted to spend the day at Cape May, NJ with the wife and kids + someone elses kids. Good weather, good waves...

If I would have taken the Jeep I wouldn't be able to fit everyone in so we took the truck. Somehow Bear drew the short straw and was left home.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It was another good day of wheeling with DEJA. Andrew and I started off with two groups. I lead the stockers and Andrew took the mods.

For the stockers we started off down Coal road, heading towards Valley Road. From Valley Road we got off onto Blueberry. Once through Blueberry, we ventured onto Haul Road. That lead us down to Inner and
    Outer Spare Tire. We took a look down Inner Spare Tire and looked at the stream crossing. The water was pretty high, along with the big drop off's into the water. We all parked and I took my Jeep across the stream and looped back across again. Only one other Jeep would brave the water. He was on 33's. It is a Blue 1 trail. After that we headed over to Outer Spare Tire, that's were I ran into a little mud. See Pic..... Needless to say I told everyone to stay to the right! Once that little adventure was done, we headed over to the Spring for lunch. Andrew and the Mod's meet up with us for lunch.

After lunch we agreed to switch groups and I lead the Mod's (Not sure if they were happy with that!@?!) We went back up Turtle and the whole trial up, my front end was making some bad noises (what's new there?). Turns out it was my Pass. side u-joint. So we all pulled off the trail and Brian and his friend helped me swap out to my spare Pass. side axle. 15 miniutes or so we were back on the trail. We then went to Whompum. Turns out to be a pretty good, rocky trail. Almost everyone made it through the lower section, except for Paul's XJ. Turns out he busted his rear lift blocks and U-Bolts. We managed to limp him up off the trial and through the By-pass.
    We then decided we should head out towards the Registration area.

My only other incident was my OBA. Once back at the Reg. area, I was filling everyone's tires. The compressor was running at 2K RPM's for about 20 minutes, and apperently melted my Oil Removing Filter's bowl. Oil shot everwhere and I had to shut it down. Should be no big deal, just replace the bowl.

Hope everyone had a good time. Here's a link to the few pictures I was able to take....http://www.imagestation.com/al…551&congratulation_page=Y

• Quote from "joelove"

No, I always like to do a winching demo anytime I trail lead. :doh:

Ahh yes. I remember your last winching demo at Pargon in Feb.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!