3 1/2" lift w/o SYE and drive shaft mods?

• I have an 04 TJ w/ 31x11.50's on 15x10 rims. Tax money's back so I'm thinking of doing a lift and a few other things. It seems everyone has a different answer as to how high I can go before needing SYE and drive shaft changes. I've gotten so paranoid that I've given up in a 3 1/2 inch lift and new 33x12.50's because I'm afraid that my TJ won't drive right afterwards.........

I think I'm going with a new 2" coils and shocks from BDS. Hope I'm not pissed I didn't go bigger once I see everything installed.

Just wanted to get any last thoughts before I placed an order............... thanks

• Sometimes even 2" lift people need SYE's but it's not as common as going higher. I have a 4" and had no vibes. It all depends on the jeep. You could go with a 2" lift and 1" BL. That should clear the 33's.

• your gonna wish you went bigger..... :safeyet

From what I understand, the general rule of thumb is 3inches and up you need a SYE...but like bob suplee says "it all depends on the jeep"...

iirc, matty427 ran his jeep with a tc drop for awhile before getting an sye...if it comes to it, you use a tc drop...

• I heard bad things about block lifts. my understanding is that you open your self to a whole world if issues with them.........................emergency brake doesn't come up through the floor right, steering column is affected, not to mention a bunch of wiring issues...............is there someone who has one that could comment

• wow
    where did u here that ?!?

there are no issuse with a buget boost lift
    r we talking about the same thing here

alot of ppl have run a b/b with no problems
    myself included

maybe u r thinkng of a body lift?

i have an 1-1/4 jks and have no issuses with it
    lots of guys run a min. body lift
    its when u run more than 2 inches that things start to get hairy

however there are several guys on here that run 3 inch body lift kits
    and when installed properly have no issuses either

like i said tho a Budget Boost and a 1 inch body lift
    with the proper bumpstops and u wont need a sye

but it really depends on what u will or wont do with ur jeep that will determine wether or not u need a sye

there are a few ppl on here that run a 3 inch spring lift
    and a trans case drop with no sye or boby lift and clear 33's

hth

• Quote from "04TJguy"

thanks, could I get 2" lift from OME or BDS springs and then add 1-2" spacer later?

yes you can do that. actually, i believe icky has 2inch coils and 2 inch spacers....makes it 4 inches technically.

i have 2in spacers, and a 1 in bl, and I have had no problem of what you are saying.

When I did install the bl, I had a bit of a rattle of the transfercase bracket, but thats cuz I go the cheap body lift and should have gone wtiha JKS 1.25.

• yes ........................
    but like josh said earlier
    anything over 3 inches and u may need the sye

so if u get just the springs now , say 2 inch ones
    then 1 inch or 2 inch blocks
    now u will be 3 or 4 inches of lift

u coould however do the 2 inch springs then the blody lift and still clear 33's without an sye

Quote from "joo"

yes you can do that. actually, i believe icky has 2inch coils and 2 inch spacers....makes it 4 inches technically.

not anymore she doesnt
    she did have that setup and it worked well

• I ran my RE 3.5" lift (which was closer to 4.5 in reality) for about 7-8 months with the T-case drop and Motor Mount Lift and still had vibes. They were'nt bad, but when they're there you know it and it gets under your skin. From what I understand, you don't really want to run both the TC drop and MM lift but in my case, I had to do what I had to do.

It gave me some time to save up for a decent SYE kit, Driveshaft and control arms. Don't think it had any lasting damage.

If you're sure you want to take the lift plunge, I'd do the Lift kit you want with the T-case drop. If you're getting small vibes, you can use some grade 8 washers to drop it a little farther to eliminate them all together until you can scrap and save for the SYE.

• I have an RE 3.5" Superflex and used the t-Case drop kit and have absolutely no vibes at all. Even up towards the 85MPH mark. Like everyone has said, it does depend on the Jeep. I would just get the lift you want to get, and then go from there. I would recommend the RE 3.5" kit from RedRock4x4.com (you get free shipping and free shocks).

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!