Sorry...

• I accidentally deleted the thread about locking threads... I know, I know, I can hear you now... Anyway, here are the last few posts...I can use my "back" button to get a a few, but once I close the browser, they'll all be gone. Again, sorry. Here's the last post and quote:

[quote wckdyj]I think this may be part of the problem, the smart comments and the power trip combined.[/quote]

Not meant to be a "smart comment", but the truth. Had he said "when an occasional thread gets a little goofy" instead of "EVERYTIME a thread gets a little goofy" he would have been more accurate. so it must have suited his purpose to exaggerate. I've actually done very little editing and/or deleting. As a matter of fact, at the March meeting, we talked openly about doing just this in an attempt to keep threads on topic. There were a few concerns which we addressed until there was no more discussion. We even created the Off-Topic Forum for a place to be a bit more "goofy". Power trip? not really, I just see the PMs, IMs and emails daily from the more quiet members who are dissatisfied with the site lately. These members have much to offer, do it in a more adult manner, and don't want to see this site turn into what some other Jeep sites have.

So if I seem over zealous to you in my editing/deleting, it is because there have been more crap posts, inside jokes, and insults flying around lately that were worthy of deletion.

I have received a PM from a member through all of this suggesting that I add a comment like "this thread locked due to inappropriate posting" and locking the thread instead of deleting posts. I think that is a better solution and will try to do that instead of just deleting. I think it might be best for all members to see who posts the crap, and is a little less censure-like.

Lastly, everyone here who is a member has an opinion, including myself. If I assume 150 members for the sake of discussion, each of us has an opinion worth 1/150th of the whole. You can be as loud and as negative as you like, but you're opinion doesn't gain any value more than that 1/150th. My 1/150th happens to be as the president of the club. No one voted for me, but no one stepped up to run either. So for the next year and a half, you get my take (and the other BOD members' as well) on how this club should be run. Just because I'm on the BOD doesn't mean I'm on a power trip. I just care about what I see, and I'm willing to make the hard choices and decisions to try to correct it. If not for you specifically, then for the quiet ones who email, PM and IM to say "thanks" enough to let me know I'm on the right track.

Anything else you'd like to know, just ask.

• ...and from Tony prior to that:

[quote wckdyj]I think this may be part of the problem, the smart comments and the power trip combined.[/quote]

ding ding ding we have a winner or atleast that is my problem

• And... what better place to offer my thoughts on all this.

These are my thoughts but are also for the most part shared by the section of my brain that I dedicate to the BOD.

First I'd like to respond to this talk regarding the DeJA website and that it is and has always been heavily moderated.

That is crap.

I've been here since early '03 and have been very active and I have NEVER seen even a trace of this.

If the events in question happened prior to the club taking control of the website, then that is a moot point because the club now runs the website.

Next, there was a lot of chatter about what the BOD does and does not have the authority to do. The BOD pretty much has the authority to do what needs to be done.

Every little possible thing is not listed out in the by-laws, that would be ridiculous.

We are duly elected officers of the club, and we have not only the authority, but the obligation to do what we see fit concerning not only the club, but also the website which is such a huge portion of the club.

Anyone who actually knows Steve and I surely knows that we care about the club. We may have differing reasons that we love DeJA, but we both do. And we are trying to make it a better place for the majority. I'm a realist and I know we will never make everyone happy with us.

And I'm not going to play the age card, but I will say that every year it amazes me how much I didn't know the year before. So trust the older folks. I'd love for DeJA to be here 15-20 years from now when my grandson is grown.

As far as editing/deleting posts, a lot of this has been discussed on I think 2 occasions at 2 different meetings. This is a good reason to attend meetings or at least read the minutes.

O/T posts in any forum other than O/T will be deleted. I encourage DrJ to refrain from deleting entire threads unless profane or abusive. I would much rather see them moved to... you guessed it... O/T.

Bare in mind, we have other jobs... So think before you post, please.

Remember this website reflects greatly how people perceive us as a club, as Jeep owners and as people.

All respectful feedback is welcome.

Keith Cochran
    DeJA Vice Pres.

• I'm not right in the mix or in the circle but I have felt very welcomed here and encouraged by the both of you and then some. I think what you are doing is absolutely correct. Harassing or abusive comments at the expense of others can be funny, but what if the tables were turned.

I'm hear to learn, have fun, and meet new friends. I don't want to be insulted unless justified....not that I have.. So everyone remember why you joined...get out there in your Jeep and have fun with a bunch of great people who love the same thing you do. The rest is nonsense.

my thoughts, thanks

• A little more on the Off Topic forum.

I think it's a good idea as it helps keep the OT out of the Jeep forums.

It's intent was not for a playground for people with too much time on their hands. It is not a free-for-all OT like on some sites. Flaming or abusive behavior will not be tolerated. Remember it is public and may be seen by children.

By all means use it as intended, but remember it's also a reflection of the club and it's members.

• Steve, Keith,
    I didnt get to vote for you guys but I would have had i been a member than. I agree with both of your comments. I joined DeJA because I have been looking to hang out with other jeepers for the past 15 years.. back then there was BMJA and that was just a little too far for me.. I tried to start a jeep group when I was up in Cape Cod... I think the club i envisioned was DeJA... im glad i found it and as long as I can I want to stick around share, learn, and go jeepin.. this is a great place I feel like i found a home.
    Rob

• Quote from "Keith_C"

First I'd like to respond to this talk regarding the DeJA website and that it is and has always been heavily moderated.

i have never thought this site was heavly moderated or cencored, thats why the sudden excessive moderation is suprising.
    i am glad people can all talk about this issue in a civilized manor. thats what i wanted, a good discussion. i do agree that people posting insulting comments or anything like that should be kept off this board. if i want to see people bashing others i will go to other sites. i do think some joking around and being dumb is all part of the experence here, and i usualy get a chuckle out of it. like the stuff drJ used to post. if all this kind of stuff gets deleted or locked, this site will become boring and members will go else where. i seen it happen to Michigan jeepers. it was over moderated and they edited, deleted, or locked posts. eventuly most of the members quit and the owner of the site sold what was left of the site. its still has very low members, and i dont want to ever see that happen to this site.

that is all.

thanks.

• Quote from "bmf24"

...like the stuff drJ used to post.

If you only knew how many times I haven't posted because enough people were already taking threads off-topic, and I didn't want to add to the problem. It just kills me sometimes to not post something that pops in my head that is really off-topic, or off-color.

• Quote from "DrJ"

If you only knew how many times I haven't posted because enough people were already taking threads off-topic, and I didn't want to add to the problem. It just kills me sometimes to not post something that pops in my head that is really off-topic, or off-color.

i have noticed the decline in your usual style posts in the last couple months...

i just read thru the other thread, the homepage poll one. there were some good points brought up. i encurage others to read it. it brought some stuff to my attention that i did not think about.

• Hey my post was deleted! :upset:

Oh well, it just reiterated what everyone else had said. No probs. :up:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

i have never thought this site was heavly moderated or cencored, thats why the sudden excessive moderation is suprising.

As a member of the prior Board of Directors, I can say that we did indeed carefully monitor postings on the message board. For the most part, there was little need to edit, lock, or delete postings, but we did do it from time to time. In many cases, it was so quick after the posting that few people even saw the offending posts.

Over the last six months, there has been a dramatic increase in what I would consider useless, senseless posts. I am not offended, but these days I tend to skip over most of the topics unless I see something interesting. In Off-Topic posts, this doesn't bother me. But in the other sections I hate seeing the posts go way off topic. I'm tempted to get in there and start deleting - I still have the access.

You have elected your new Board of Directors, and they are doing what they think is best for the club. I support their actions completely.

:peace:

• Quote from "BlueJ"

You have elected your new Board of Directors, and they are doing what they think is best for the club. I support their actions completely.

:peace:

x2

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• This is a very family friendly club and website as well. We are all very diverse, and come from different generations and livestyles. Something that may explain a lot of this is simply by looking at the different generations and there charictaristics. We have Baby Boomers, Gen X-ers, and Millenium, and the children that are growing up with this club - that's a pretty broad range of people. This is really something to be proud of! Not many groups can claim that, especially since for the most part we're like one big family - we have our squabbles, but we're always there to lend a helping hand.

And best of all we all have 1 thing in common, which is why we're here - [size=24px]JEEPS![/size]
    [size=9px]not to mention having fun, beer . . . [/size]

But to get serious, it can be a public perspective thing. A single guy, may look at some of the posts and get a good laugh and can't wait to join, however a parent looking for something family oriented to do with his/her kids - may read posts and see a male pi$$ing contest and figure this site is not for their family, and may not take the chance to truly find out what a great club DeJA is.

I have said many times that joining DeJA is the best thing we ever did for ourselves and our family. It just seems that lately some of the posts on the website, are really negative towards another member, as well as certain groups. An inside joke is one thing, but sometimes if no one else is in on it, things go too far and get annoying.

Take the "GUAM" thing for example. No one knew what it meant except the couple of people who came up with it, then it was like there were attacks against those who were offended by it or didn't understand it. When I think of Guam, I think of all of our soldiers who have been there and are fighting for our country now in different parts of the world. If someone thinks this, who is a visitor to our site, not only may they be offended and not come back, but also spread around that we're not a nice club. (Do we really want a reputation of being unpatriotic? - maybe this is extreme but it's something to think about)

There was a comment/comparison made something along the lines of what kids are seeing on TV nowadays and the content on this site. (I believe an orgy was the example given, and I can assure you that my kids, and probably everyone elses kids aren't watching that kind of stuff - they go to bed by then). If the content of this site, ever got that extreme, I wouldn't be here. And while I got a chuckle out of the guy getting kicked in the balls, and the storm trooper's thrusting, it wasn't easy to explain to the boys, I had to close the site quick before they could ask any more questions. I've never had to do that, they like looking at everyone's avatars, and the pics in the galleries.

I feel that some moderation is necessary, the last thing this club needs to do is turn into a site like Pirate (no offense to anyone, I enjoy checking it out myself). Everyone loves the quirky comments that pop up everywhere and they are great. I miss DrJ's, he is one of the best. We can still do that and if everyone moderates themselves and remembers that this is a PG group, open to the public maybe less threads & posts will be locked and deleted out of the necessity of keeping DeJA a family friendly site & club.

• Quote from "flutterby"

Take the "GUAM" thing for example. No one knew what it meant except the couple of people who came up with it, then it was like there were attacks against those who were offended by it or didn't understand it. When I think of Guam, I think of all of our soldiers who have been there and are fighting for our country now in different parts of the world. If someone thinks this, who is a visitor to our site, not only may they be offended and not come back, but also spread around that we're not a nice club. (Do we really want a reputation of being unpatriotic? - maybe this is extreme but it's something to think about)

yea i think of Guam and my best friend from the coast guard.. he is from there. and prolly one of the few good friends i have left.. we just live 3000 miles away..
    no offence to anyone here.. but i dont know any of you as well... ive met some real good people here.. but ive only been here for a few months...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!