GWNF IV - Final Preparations!

• Quote from "DrJ"

So with me NOT being an experienced camper, what do I need to do differently assuming we'll get a thunderstorm? I ususally don't put a tarp down first...should I? What other rain precautions should a camper make?

:shrug:

get a rain suit or a poncho...I'm gonna swing by walmart again and get a whole yellow suit..

maybe bring some extra clothes?

btw I'll ahve a rack now, and I have a bunch of firewood here at the hosue so I will bring a bunch.

• Don't touch the roof of your tent while its raining. It will allow water to run in on you like you don't even have a roof. Also an air mattress might be nice just incase the ground gets real wet and your tent gets damp. :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "Wolverine"

Yeah the tarp is a good Idea

just make sure its UNDER your tent, and not sticking out on the outside. Mines a litle bit, so I'm gonna have to fold it under and make sure its under the tent, otherwise ...... :idiot:

• Trash bags are your best friend when it rains.

Before you leave camp you can place pillows, clothes, food, etc. in a plastic trash bag with some assurance your stuff will be dry when you get back.

Trash bags also make good ponchos, wind breaks, a dry place to sit, a mositure resistant place for electronics, etc.

Walmart has 8x10 tarps for about $6. Trash bags are a couple of dollars. If you really want to do it right pick up a dry bag from the sporting goods department. Dry bags are thick plastic, sealable bags used by boaters. Nothing better than dry clothes for a long drive home.

• Quote from "joo"

just make sure its UNDER your tent, and not sticking out on the outside. Mines a litle bit, so I'm gonna have to fold it under and make sure its under the tent, otherwise ...... :idiot:

Tarp under tent should be smaller than the perimeter of the tent. A rain fly does wonders for keeping the rain off the tent roof thus keeping it drier. If all else fails, sleep in the Jeep!! That's what I ended up doing at GWNF II (the Deluge edition) after the tarp under the tent (bigger than the tent) channelled all the rain onto the floor of the tent and my sleeping bag (no air mattress) and the roof was dripping from being touched.

No room in GP for firewood, but I'll contribute $10 to the firewood fund.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• WE'RE IN!!!!!
    Save a spot for us and have plenty of hands ready to help set up our tent when we arrive. We're leaving Thursday after school.

• actually on the tarp thing if you put a larger tarp under your tent and roll it under itself till it is under the tent about 4 inches. this will keep any water that decides to flow down a hill near you from getting on the tarp it kinda works like a raft to keep the tent dry inside.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• yeah, like Chris said. For rainy weather, a tarp or plastic UNDER the tent is great, but get something a bit larger than the footprint of your tent, and fold it under itself so you cannot see any of it sticking out from under the tent, about 4 inches or so. I have a sheet of plastic already folded and taped to fit under my tent, and I use it every time just in case. I also will usually tie a larger tarp above the tent at an angle so it keeps the top of the tent dry (no leaks), and runs the water off one side, hopefully downhill. It usually gives you alittle space right in front of the tent also that you can stay out of the rain.

This overflow lot though, if it's all open, won't work for the tarp above. Need some things to tie it too.

If it rains a lot, I'm heading back to kephart or sleeping in the Jeep.

I'll also be bringing a small amount of wood, and I can put $5 in for the community pile.

AND, keep in mind, they're getting a good bit of rain before and unfortunately while we're there. so "Dry River" may NOT be so dry, and alternate trails may be needed.

• They were also near drought, so maybe we'll be good at Dry River. If not, there are a few trails around Brandywine on the map, none marked "ATV".

• I have a footprint tarp that fits almost perfect under my tent and a huge blue one that I use to put over it in case of rain.

I think Walmart has tent poles you can buy to put in the grommet corners that should hold it up to give some room in the front like a porch cover.

• Hey Jen ~ Thanks for the offer but Sue says she really wants to rough it and just do sleeping bags this trip. Thanks again!

• Somebody grab a bag or two of SELF LIGHTING charcoal...might help get a fire started, especially if we have wet firewood. If I see it out, I'll get some too. I figure one for each night.

• Stopped at Wally World today to get some rain pants, and picked up 3 fire starter "logs". They're about 6" long.

Got an extra tarp as well.

• Got my tarp and four bundles of firewood.

We'll stop in H'burg at the usual store to stock up on beer, ice, last minute food items, etc.

"Almost Heav-ennnnn, West Virginiaaa...Blue Ridge Mountains, Shen-an-doah Ri-iver..."

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!