Disk Brakes Warped at 11k

• Don't know much about the tendencies of jeeps yet so i thought I'd ask. I have an 04 Saraha with 11k and the rotors are slightly warped. About 2 months ago I changed wheels and tires to 31x11.50's on 15x10 rims, nothing to extreme. I just noticed the steering vibration when braking in the last few weeks. Is this common? Rather than have them turned, I'm thinking of replacing them with Brembo's. Any thoughts?

• r u riding the brake?
    do u think it may have a stinking caliper ?

that is pretty excesive

id look into that b/4 buying brembo's
    in a jeep that doesnt go that fast in the first place
    those would be over kill imo

my rubi got 50k b/4 i had to replace the pads all around
    so while i had it apart
    i had the rotors turned slightly

i have had sticking calipers that needed replacing

hth

• In my 03 Sahara, they warped a little quickly. Less than 12,000 miles. I attributed it to my riding the brakes on a trail ride and then going through a water crossing while the pads were still too hot. Possibly even at GWNF when I didn't put it in to 4lo and had to ride the brakes most of the day... (that was a long time ago)

• I have 30,000 on mine, and no problems.

I'm hopin to make these last...at times I'm very harsh on my brakes, espeically on my way to the firehouse. One of those do 70, then slam the breaks than turn.

Wouldn't warranty cover that?

• I used to have all kinds of problems with a Cherokee. Basically warped rotors are usually caused by the rear brakes not self adjusting well. (Mud and crap can affect this) Then since the front brakes are doing all the work, they tent to get excessivly hot. This , in turn, warps the rotors. The cheap OEM rotors can not hold up to this.

Suggestion: Clean rear drums and re-adjust, and cut the fronts. You can also go with a cross drilled slotted rotor.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Christiana Auto on Rt. 7 will turn them for something like $8 a rotor. I'd certainly do that first.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Good luck on warranty. Brakes are a wear item and because there are people out there that trash rotors in 10k, the Dealer will assume that you are one of them. Also, if the rig wasn't serviced by the Dealer, they will just say that the issue was caused by improper or lack of adjustment and they would have checked that had they serviced it. Total bs, but I know the routine from experience.

• thanks for the input. I'll try to clean and adj the rear and for a sticking caliper before replacing anything..............

• Definately clean and adjust the rears before you do anything and I have even thrown on a new set of cheap front pads to buy some time. I would skip turning the front rotors and just put new ones on if it is that bad. OEM rotors are so thin that there is not enough thickness to turn them...

My old Tacoma went through the same problem, 15k and the thing was shuddering under braking. The dealership turned the front rotors and "adjusted" the rear brakes (which I knew to be fine) and the problem returned in about 3k miles. I then just replaced the front rotors and pads and the shuddering came back again after another 5k miles. So it was definately an issue with the brake system and not my driving, which I knew but could not prove. I generally get 60k - 70k from a set of brake pads and have never had rotor issues on identical trucks so I knew it was the truck. Got rid of it so it wasn't my problem anymore...

• Quote from "04TJguy"

Don't know much about the tendencies of jeeps yet so i thought I'd ask. I have an 04 Saraha with 11k and the rotors are slightly warped. About 2 months ago I changed wheels and tires to 31x11.50's on 15x10 rims, nothing to extreme. I just noticed the steering vibration when braking in the last few weeks. Is this common? Rather than have them turned, I'm thinking of replacing them with Brembo's. Any thoughts?

Heh, similar thing - my mother just bought a nissan altima after me pushing her to get a new car for the last FOUR YEARS... :) 100 miles after she leaves the dealer, the rotors are warped!!!@@!% Luckily the dealer is going to be forced to fix them FREE, but nonetheless - I just chalk this up to shoddy workmanship... :(

• yup, NTB balanced and mounted the new tires, torqued them, had me drive about 50 miles and told me to come back and have them re-torqued. was that bad??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!