Trail ride report - May 28 at RC

• We had nine vehicles show at Rausch Creek on Sunday. Donnie (DCC) led the stocker group of four, and I led a modified group of four, with one (Randallman) runnng with another group.

The modified group -- Chris (quadna) and Erica (Icky), Chris (Omaha), and Ed (TheMistaken) and friend, and me (BlueJ) -- did mostly blue level trails, with a few extra obstacles. We started out on trail 2, which winds through the East property and ends up on Krawler ridge. Chris (quadna) was the first with some damage, taking the bark off a tree with his right fender (yes, the new one). But it was hardly noticeable (cough cough) so we kept on going. At the top of Krawler Ridge, Chris (q) and Ed drive their jeeps up vertical on the rocks for photo ops. Then Chris (Ohama) took the tough route down, and just at the bottom I spotted him onto a rock and got him stuck, so I could use my jeep to tug him off. Chris (q) spotted Ed down the same route and didn't get him stuck.

Since it was too early for lunch, we headed over to trail 4. We all rode up the Jellowjacket Ridge section in the middle of 4, then continued to the end. We had a leisurely lunch at the entrance to trail 8, with Chris's (q) XM radio playing though multiple jeeps.

Then over to the West side, with a slight detour because the gate on trail E was closed. By popular demand (Ed) we started out at trail 10. At the entrance to trail 10, Chris-q and Chris-O played on the big rocks, then we meandered through the woods and mud puddles. Skipping the big nasty puddle (dubbed "milkshake"), we ended up down at Rock Creek, about 100 feet from the cross-over section. Chris-q and I jumped onto Rock Creek, and Chris-O and Ed drove around to meet up. Chris-q took it gingerly up the right side, carefully listening to Erica's spotting instructions. I plowed ahead around the left side, passed Chris in the homestretch, and pulled onto the exit.

With Chris-O leading, we turned left onto trail 13, and waited for a few minutes while a group ahead of us from Michigan pulled one of theirs off some rocks. Then we passed them at the entrance to Otter's trail, and continued on 13 to the end. We headed over to trail 15 to get a look at the water hole. There were close to a dozen jeeps there already, with all the drivers egging on a stupid guy in a white Grand Cherokee. His one smart move was getting the tow strap hooked up before diving in. He made it maybe 7 feet across and four feet down before hydrolocking his engine. We watched him be extracted, then took off.

Our last stop was backtracking slightly to trail 17, which is a new black rated hill climb. Walking up the first section it seemed reasonable enough, with steep grade, loose dirt, and some boulders. Chris-O tried first, and couldn't get past the first section. Ed had a line picked out, and scooted up almost to the top. Chris-q followed him up, and got to about the same spot. Then the winch controller came out, but I don't know the details because I was busy getting stuck at the bottom. I got stopped at the same place as Chris-O, and with the loose dirt couldn't get any traction to move even one more inch. So moving backwards, I turned and backed onto a rock and got stuck. I whipped out the winch controller and tree saver, and with Erica's assistance got BlueJ free. I had an uncomfortable tippy moment during that maneuver, but, not wanting to test my new Holly Oak 4x4 roll cage quite yet, I leaned out and recovered back to all four wheels.

Then we headed out towards the park entrance. On the exit path, I heard a load snap from BlueJ's front end, and lost my steeting. I snapped yet another upper track bar bolt. But I now carry spares, so in five minutes we were moving again.

We packed up, got trail badges, and headed home. I was a fun day on the trails. Thanks everyone!

• Thanks to Andrew for leading us. I had a great time. If you look the map, they have that hill climb rated as a Red trail, who knows why though (couch couch) Yea, we almost rolled when the front slid at the top and bounced completely perpendicular with the hill in a very very bad feeling off-camber position. I got it straightened out before Chris-q winched himself up the hill (pushing and plowing rocks out of his way) to come to my rescue. I had about 5 or 6 feet of the hill left and just could not get any traction what so ever. So Chris-q had to come to my rescue winch up and over the top, then attach to my roll cage while I turned around to go down the "turn-around" trail (blue rated, nothing to say about it). Off-camber situations suck!! Thanks again to Andrew for making this a great ride for me. Thanks to both of the Chris' for showing up and having a good time. We didn't get to see the Stocker group that Donnie (DCC) led. I'm anxious to see how they did with Donnie's Zuki leading.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• The stockers were lead by Donnie in his Sidekick. The group had three more, Me, Seanmac and ChrisToes.

The morning we warmed up on some of the easier greens on the East property. It was quite a sight to see Donnie crawling rocks. One the first trail we lost one of Donnie tires but with a few minutes we were back up and running. Not long after we also lost one of ChrisToes' tires. Again an easy fix.

The morning ended with us stoping by Crawler Ridge for lunch. We saw some of the Maryland Rock Raiders crawling some of the more difficult terrain and grabbing some photo ops. After lunch we stopped by the mud pit in hope to see some others get stuck, but instead we got to watch what Donnie referred to as the "FrankenJeep" plow through the mud completely soaking the driver.

The day really got exciting when we headed to the West side to take trail 11. The trail was rated as "Challenging Stock Trail". It had some good obstacles in the front and Donnie finally got stuck on some rocks (for most of the day he was making it look to easy and showing us up). A quick tug got Donnie moving again and we were off into some mud. I managed to slide my tires deep into the mud and get good and stuck. After a couple of tries pulling backwards Donnie pulled his Sidekick up and one quick tug and my TJ was rolling again. Donnie made sure to snap a picture of his Sidekick hooked up to the TJ.

It was a great day of some good trails for us who wanted to ride stock. Challenging enough but we all went home in one piece. Thanks again to Donnie for leading a great day!

• i only have one thing to say about this trip

[size=24px]Quick Throw a Locker at it![/size]

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Omaha and I are part of the elite "I need a locker group"

We didn't die so it was a good day...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Here's a link to the pix I took for the day. http://www.delawareja.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=815

Thanks for writing the TR for me Ken. :up:

I took some notes this time so I could remember most of the trails we ran. Here's my account for the day. :grin:

I was hoping the short cut to "A" was going to be the most challenging for me for the day. Wrong. I popped left front tire on tree stump at the exit of trail "1". We then took "B" to "C" to "Poleline" over to the "West" side and run down the "Power line". Tried a couple of the hill climbs on our way to Trail "10", "11" and "14" where Chris popped his left front tire. We then took "11 back to "H" and back to the "East" side and made our way to "Crawler Ridge" hoping to catch up with the modified group for lunch who drove by as we were getting ready to leave.

After lunch I proceded in getting us lost on the hunting grounds, after multiple 3 pt turns and some back tracking we finally found the park again. We then run "C" and 3 of us Me, Chris and Sean did the "Logbridge", finished up "C". Ran "Poleline" again, Met my Ole Buddy Tico and watched The Maryland Rock Raiders play in the "Mudpit". We then headed over to the "West" side again and ran "11" to "19a" and "19b" where I had to bypass one obsticle and get a tug from behind by Ken on another. Then I got to return the favor and pull him out. A little further up "19b" I ran into a small rock garden where we had to stack rocks for me to get through where I noticed my right front tire was over half flat. So I decided that was it for the Zuki for the day and headed back to the office around 4:00pm.
    I was pleased with the Zuki's preformance on the trails at RC, but I think I'll leave the Zuki home for any more trips to RC and PAP. GWNF and Wharton are fair game though. :ghostly:

• the boy and I had an awesome day out on the trails. Thanks Donnie for leading the way - ZUKI ROCKS! they need to use you in one of their commercials, I was very impressed. overall a very good day, even if we got a bit lost - it was right after lunch so I was up for taking it a bit easy anyway (helps with digestion and what not)

on a side note - at the grocery store after we got back to ChrisToe's place (somewhere off of 940, pocono pines I think) a very nice woman stops us and gives me a card for the blue mountain jeep association. Shwe said she saw the jeeps out front and wanted to let us know about her club. we told her where we were from and the club and after she left i realized she must have figured we were the Jeep guys since I was covered in about 20 pounds of red, tan, brown and black dried mud. The sunburned balding spot was also probably a pretty good give away.

Donnie, Ken, Chris - I'm up for another run anytime!

later
    Sean

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!