what's next??

• ok, here's the question. I have an 04 saraha automatic, what should I do next? I don't really do alot of off-roading now but plan to in the future. (as soon as the jeep becomes just a weekend driver). I wanna keep upgrading with off-roading in mind but would rather start with the things that will add value on the street as well.

Here's what I've done so far.

2" OME heavy load lift and shocks, t-case drop (included w/ lift) and rear trak bar relocator. the lift actually gave me just over 3".

15x10 dick cepek dc-1's with Goodyear MTR 33x12.50

bushwacker fender flares, mean green alternator, optima yellowtop, AEM intake, banks cat-back exhaust, smittybilt front/rear bumpers and nerf bars, lots of stereo stuff,.

I have 3:73's now and thinking my next step may be 4:56 gears and then axles and lockers?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

• no mention of skid plates

that should be ur next step
    the skids u buy now will work with everything else

unless u go long arm
    then at the most ull have to change the egine skid

i would do the new axles next then gears

the new axles u can do urself
    saves u some money maybe then when the new gears go in
    get a lock-rite for the front
    and a selectable for the rear

That's MR. Captain Beach , to you

Edited once, last by ().

• go with 4.10's if you are gonna keep the 33's
    that will be stock ratio with the auto

BTW where do you live in hockessin?

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Unless you plan on running some bigger tires, don't regear. With the 4speed automatic, 3.73 will be good and certainly not worth the price of regearing to 4.10. You'll actually get better gas mileage (but less power) with your 3.73s.

I've recently heard that with the 4 speed automatic, 4.11s will be pretty good for running 35s.

Definately get as many skids as you can. Then, when you're broke, make the rest out of whatever you can.

You mentioned doing regearing, then new axles, then locking. I'd recommend doing it all at the same time. Saves time and money.

• There's no sense in going to 4.10s if you have 3.73s. The rule of thumb is to only regear if you are going up 2 or more gear sets. 3.73s will be fine for 33s, lots of people run them. Take the money you would have spent on gears and instead of dropping the t-case buy one of those slip yoke eliminater thingys (provided you have a slip yoke of course).

What rear do you have now, Dana 35?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Thanks for the advice. down the road 18-24 months I'm hoping to be sitting on 35's or 37's with 5.5" of lift. When I mentioned gears, I was thinking of 4:56. The skids are a great idea, it came with allot of factory skids - are they crap? Is there a specific company or thickness in steel that i should be looking for?

I was told that I have a dana 35. How can i confirm or was that the only option for stock? I'm completely clueless on the whole axle/locker topic. Can someone point me to a website or book or something. I don't even have any idea what I should be looking to upgrade to.

Thanks again, i appreciate the input.

• The stock skids cover some things, but not all.

Many people go for an engine skid to protect the oil pan and everything hanging low. Also there are upgrades to things like the gas tank skid. You can also go for a steering box skid (I went for this, but some say the steering is high enough its not needed). You can also get differential guards, radiator skids and such, but again it depends on how much you want to spend.

• more often than not
    if ur back rear has a rubber check plug its a d35
    a d44 was an option on sahara's
    do u have rear disc brakes ?
    thats a good way to know if u have a d44

skiplates;
    get the best u can afford
    skid row is a great choice for a engine skid
    as for the rest
    just get what u see fit
    lower control arm mounts skids
    steering box skid
    a radiator skid maybe
    gas tank when u think ull need one
    there are several out there so ull have to read up on them
    warn kilby skidrow
    all make gas tank skids

with that much lift u should be considering long arms

yes for the most part the factory skids are crap
    better than nothing tho
    when u get a full engine skid
    u will have to remove the tranny skid u have on there now
    u wont need it

again u will need stronger axles for the front and rear if u want to run 35's

lockers have been beaten to death here on the boards
    search to get a little more info on them
    search jeepsunlimited and jeepshorizions aswell

also with that much lift u want to run
    u should upgrade the steering system aswell

go to http://www.quadratec.com <---clicky
    to get pricing and specs aswell as find out what is available

• If you have the Dana 35 then I wouldn't bother regearing it if you're planning on 37s in a few years. Since you seem determined on the BIG meats you might as well look for a different rear and regear THAT.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!