Seat Covers -- Advice Needed

• Am interested in covering my 98 TJ's stock seats with some sort of covers, mostly to dress it up, but also to hide minor tears. I need to know what to avoid and what to seek out in a seat cover. Any really good brands? The one thing I don't want is for the front seat covers to constantly work their way out of position as people slide in and out of the vehicle. I want them to stay put. So, what's the deal with seat covers?! :shrug:

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• wet okole is the best we carry but i ran the smittybilt ones back in the day when they had buy front get rear free and i loved them.

• NO NEOPRENE of any brand!!

You'll hate them. You can no longer SLIDE out of the seat but have to pick yourself up and off the seat or else you'll be constantly adjusting the seat cover!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• NO NEOPRENE of any brand!!

You'll hate them. You can no longer SLIDE out of the seat but have to pick yourself up and off the seat or else you'll be constantly adjusting the seat cover!

Now that's what I'm looking for... advice I can hang my hat on. Thanks!

Meeper, ok you loved them....WHY? Can you please tell me more?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Now that's what I'm looking for... advice I can hang my hat on. Thanks!

Meeper, ok you loved them....WHY? Can you please tell me more?

well they kept my OE seats clean, they didnt rip or tear and i had no issues sliding out of my seats plus they were right price and matched my interior great

• It does depend on what you're looking for... If it's a thing where you're running topless all summer and will get caught in the rain, then you want Neoprene to protect the seats (waterproof). I like that the neoprene covers hold in you place so you're not sliding around, but then you have a little extra work to get in and out of the Jeep. :) I do have to hop up into my XJ and slide part of the way across the seat, so that would get annoying fast. I love my leather seats for that!

Being a military guy, you might find these attractive: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?groupID=545 MOLLE seat covers. Downside is that they don't cover the entire seat as they are "universal fit". But, with the canvas type material, you can still slide. They make them for the rear, too. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?groupID=544

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I got the Smittybuilt GEAR covers at the Pa Jeeps show and love them!! Plenty of storage for all the small stuff even sweat shirts or jackets.Best seat covers I ever bought well worth the $$. :tup: :tup: :tup:

• wet okole is the best we carry but i ran the smittybilt ones back in the day when they had buy front get rear free and i loved them.

x2 :up: They faded some this summer but no complaints

• If it's a thing where you're running topless all summer and will get caught in the rain, then you want Neoprene to protect the seats (waterproof).

Wrong, and common misconception. Neoprene is not water proof. Neoprene holds water. Think of a wetsuit, it's completely Neoprene and it's a WETsuit, not a DRYsuit.

If you want waterproof, which I did, you could try these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14263_XX_PG.htm
    I really like them, they're water proof and stay in place when you slide across them.

• If you want waterproof, which I did, you could try these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14263_XX_PG.htm
    I really like them, they're water proof and stay in place when you slide across them.

How is the vinyl in the summer with the top down? They look real nice but I would expect them to get hot/sticky.

• I have "seat vests", just like they sound. They don't cover everything, leaving the corners uncovered. Not waterproof, but they cover small rips and tears. I think they were from Iron Horse (Smittybilt?), but I like them. They also have lots of pockets - mesh in front and on the side, several compartments in the rear, and clips to hang things from. Good stuff.

Sorry, I don't think I have any pictures of them...

• Wrong, and common misconception. Neoprene is not water proof. Neoprene holds water. Think of a wetsuit, it's completely Neoprene and it's a WETsuit, not a DRYsuit.

If you want waterproof, which I did, you could try these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/14263_XX_PG.htm

They're waterproof in that the seats under the neoprene covers will stay dry. I sold a bunch of these. Sure, they hold water on top, but wipe it off and you're good to go, and no rusty seat frames/sliders in a few days.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• How many people in this thread say do not buy neoprene who HAVE used Wet Okole covers? I simply ask because I have ran the same set in my Jeep since I have bought it... I run all black covers, have no fade, and for 2 years my Jeep has not had a top on it...

I will almost swear by them, I love them!

• actually, neoprene as a material is indeed completely waterproof. the wetsuit in itself is not watertight at the sleeves, ankles, etc. the suit allows a small amount of water to seep into the suit, and that thin layer of water is warmed by body heat. the waterproof neoprene keeps the body-warmed water against the skin, and the cold water out.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• How is the vinyl in the summer with the top down? They look real nice but I would expect them to get hot/sticky.

Well they are black, so they can get hot. I keep the top up with just the windows out in the summer, bikini style. I normally sweat a lot but don't find the covers any worse than any other seat in that regard.

About the Neoprene - Possibly there are different kinds of Neoprene but my wetsuits are not water proof. How long does a wet suit stay wet after you use it? Mine stay wet for at least a couple days. Since I haven't had Neoprene seat covers I guess I shouldn't comment on them, but anyone who says wetsuit Neoprene is water proof is just wrong or has a different definition of waterproof.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!