Stafford's 8.8 Project

• Ok, so I'm starting to figure out what I need for the 8.8 and get a general build thread going. Plan is to remove the D35 on my TJ and slap the bad boy lil 8.8 in along with an SYE. I'm looking for people to shoot holes in this...tell me what I'm doing wrong, etc.

Needed parts:

8.8 axle: (duh) acquired. Matching 3.73's, limited slip.

SYE and driveshaft: Planning on the AA SYE and Woody combo: http://advanceadapters.com/pro…ds-Drive-Shaft-Combo.html I can prob get a flange adapter for the driveshaft and save a couple hundred bucks. My d/s has some minor customization, I'd probably like to replace it.

8.8 Brackets: The MORE stuff is a little expensive but I've heard good stuff. Open to suggestions on anything 'good' and a little cheaper. http://www.mountainoffroad.com…_Kit_for_1997_2006_TJ.htm

Tummy tuck skid: I dunno yet, trying to find some inexpensive options. Anybody have one laying around? Most of the ones I saw are in the $500 neighborhood and that's just ridiculous imho. Definitely looking for something strong as I know I will beat the crap out of it.

Brakes: Stu Offroad lists Currie part # 6013 as required to convert the hoses: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CUR-CE-6013-E/ They also list the lines (guessing I need 2?) as NAPA part 380889 (can't link directly to NAPA's site). Not sure if I'm going to do an ebrake...I haven't had an ebrake for ~2 years. :)

Adjustable UCA's: got a line on some local used ones

Diff cover: Riddler http://www.quadratec.com/products/12011_2005.htm

Beer: Corona will be the beer of choice to make me forget how much all of this will cost. :)

• You don't have to do a tummy tuck with an 8.8 swap, or are you just doing that extra because you want to?

Are the tubes on the 8.8 already welded?

Oh and as far as the e-brake goes, it's worth it. I missed having mine! I got M.O.R.E ones for cheap from a shop going out of business.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• Doing the tummy tuck now because if we're setting the angle I'd rather do it once. I haven't seen the axle yet but I'm pretty sure they are welded (Nick, Aaron?). The spelling errors on the ebay page kinda make me nervous to do business with them...attention to detail and all that.

I'll look at those Sal and Keith...$329 seems a little more reasonable for the skid. Sal - is that what you bought? Any opinion from anyone on that d/s vs the Tom Woods?

Thanks Chris, I read a bunch of other install threads but not that one. Will def go through it all.

• I was nervous to deal with him too because of that, but look at his feedback. I ordered my front shaft (custom built) from him and have had no issues with it. I got it in like 3 days. I have also asked him numerous follow up questions about the shaft and he always gets back to me within a few hours. If you search some of the forums/Google for CJ Tatton he will pop up. I haven't ever seen anything bad about him.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• rember you will need to weld the center section to yhe tubes before you go too far :up:
    and takee apart the parking brske & rebuild it while you have it out of the jeep :roll:

• Any opinion from anyone on that d/s vs the Tom Woods?

Tom Woods is probably a great guy and obviously a great marketer.

But people talk about his driveshafts like they are made of some special material or parts that no one else has access to.

Most reputable suppliers will be using the same parts.

• x2 on what Keith said

If you search around on Tom Woods, a lot of people haven't been all that satisfied with his work/product.

I have a rear Tom Woods shaft and will probably be switching it out for a CJ Tatton shaft that's how impressed I was with his work. He's cheaper as well.

• The Tom Woods rear CV shaft that I ordered for my Jeep years ago actually floated across the country and was found hovering in position under my Jeep. Once installed I noticed that I was getting about an 11mpg improvement in gas mileage too!

Chris (please don't believe a word I said. Any reputable shop should be able to build/balance a driveshift)

• The Tom Woods rear CV shaft that I ordered for my Jeep years ago actually floated across the country and was found hovering in position under my Jeep. Once installed I noticed that I was getting about an 11mpg improvement in gas mileage too!

Chris (please don't believe a word I said. Any reputable shop should be able to build/balance a driveshift)

A real Tom Woods would have installed itself.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• They come with spicer joints though instead of the gold seal or whatever woods uses

More good marketing.

He uses enough he can get them custom made with gold colored grease seals.

He guarantees them: "[size=1em]Tom Wood’s Gold Seal Universal Joints are warranted against breakage for the life of the universal joint."
    [/size]

So they will break when they are worn out. Most u-joints will. The bearings fail and they grenade.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!