Question about lift's

• I've done a good bit of reading and searching about this and I couldn't come up with a definitive answer.

I recently bought an '06 Wrangler sport, it's completely stock so i have a totally blank slate. Since it is my daily driver and my only means of transportation I really intend on doing any major off-roading, green/blue trails at rousch creek for example. I want to do no more than a 4 inch lift on it and I've got it narrowed down between Rough Count 3.75" and the Rubicon Express 3". Hopefully some of you can help by giving your recommendations. If anybody knows a different kit I should look into, I'd love to know.

My desired wheel/tire size I want to run is 15x8 with 32x10.5.

Thanks!
    -Hawk.

• I am in the same boat with my 2004. And have been contiplating the same two lifts. I have read a lot that the RC can sag in the front and can be a little rougher of a ride.

• I am in the same boat with my 2004. And have been contiplating the same two lifts. I have read a lot that the RC can sag in the front and can be a little rougher of a ride.

I'm not all that worried about the ride, roads around me aren't that bad. I've also read that they (can) sag a little bit in the fronts.

Depends on what your looking to spend.

From what I've seen, the RE 3" is around the peak of my budget, no more than between 600-700.

Treat Rough Country as you would the plague, the RE 3.5 kit will net you a solid 4.25" of lift, and look into the OME lift for good ride quality and a height matched for 32" tires.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_01X_PG.htm

I've also looked into them, after being recommended to me by a friend of mine, but for almost $900, I'd rather put a higher lift on it.

• Treat Rough Country as you would the plague, the RE 3.5 kit will net you a solid 4.25" of lift, and look into the OME lift for good ride quality and a height matched for 32" tires.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_01X_PG.htm

x2. Don't overlook OME too much, I'm glad I chose it. The larger you go you end up impacting more components of the suspension and having to replace more, like whether it be track bars or start requiring a longer drive shaft. So you'll be buying much more than just the lift kit (and spending double).

The 3.5 RE kit doesn't come with shocks ... so add those to the bill. You can tell the difference between the shocks that are $50/ea and the ones that are $90/ea (OME's are very nice and on the upper end of that pricing range).

I remember the rubicon express lifts being very popular. I've never heard a good thing from someone with a rough country lift. I think everyone ends up regretting rough country.

If you want to keep it under $700 then a budget boost sounds about right for you, where you keep the springs and just buy longer shocks and pucks. If you intend to go to RC a lot I think you'll benefit from making the jump to a kit with longer springs.

• I recommend that you wait and save more money to buy a quality lift, but what do i know :). If the lift is mostly for show get a 2" budget boost and a 1"bl. It will save you money and it is a relativly easy install.

• [size=2]Have any of you actually had experience wit the new Rough Country lifts with progressive rate springs and 2.2 shocks??[/size]

[size=2]I know some of you still remember the "old" RC that was know for not being know for much.[/size]

[size=2]Was quite impressed with the quality and ride for a c̶h̶e̶a̶p̶ inexpensive lift installed on my friends' and customers jeeps[/size]

[size=2]-Brad[/size]

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I recommend that you wait and save more money to buy a quality lift, but what do i know :). If the lift is mostly for show get a 2" budget boost and a 1"bl. It will save you money and it is a relativly easy install.

X2...this will let u run 32 inch tires no prob, won't open a can of worms, will save money, and keep a nice ride

• It looks like the rc kit is under $400 with the 2.0 shock for $50 more you can get the 2.2. And its a 2.5" lift kit and a 1.25" bl. The bl is just bolts and pucks so hopefully your factory bushings are in god shape. For the money if thats all you can afford it looks like it gets decent reviews. Its just when it comes to suspension quality, you get what you pay for.

• You will want to spend the extra $50 on the 2.2

Only complaint about install was having to use the oem shock bushing spacer because they sent they wrong ones and we couldn't wait. But that was only on one particular kit.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I appreciate all the advice guys, thank you.

It seems i have a lot of thinking to do, I'm not sure how I feel about doing a body lift on my daily driver. Probably me just being paranoid but it's my daily driver and I don't wanna mess it up too badly.

If I was to just do a 2", it would probably be better for me to run a 31 inch tire rather than a 32 to avoid any clearance or rubbing issues?

• Basic rule of thumb on body lifts. 1" - 1.5" max. Anything taller IMHO , looks goofy and can cause other issues (wires pulled, brake line, fuel filler, radiator, shifter clearance) Pretty sure DE can fail you on inspection if the gap between frame rail and body exceeds 3"

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• X2...this will let u run 32 inch tires no prob, won't open a can of worms, will save money, and keep a nice ride

x3 i ran the budget boost (same springs so ride is almost the same) with a 1.25 body lift with 33's for about a year before i upgraded to a 3.5 RE superflex it was a great combo for street with a couple trips offroad. Makes your first step a little more affordable so you can spend the extra money on wheels/tires.

• I appreciate all the advice guys, thank you.

It seems i have a lot of thinking to do, I'm not sure how I feel about doing a body lift on my daily driver. Probably me just being paranoid but it's my daily driver and I don't wanna mess it up too badly.

If I was to just do a 2", it would probably be better for me to run a 31 inch tire rather than a 32 to avoid any clearance or rubbing issues?

Nothing wrong wih a small bl. Most tjs need this along with a motor mount lift to help get the drivetrain angles correct when they lift 4" or more.

• Nothing wrong wih a small bl. Most tjs need this along with a motor mount lift to help get the drivetrain angles correct when they lift 4" or more.

what Aaron said. I had the same thoughts when i put one on my TJ. it's basically a replacement bushing with a transfercase shifter bracket. most people won't even know you have it, but it makes a world of difference.

most of the horror stories you hear about body lifts are the 3"+ versions. bolts snapping, body tweeking, bumper gap, ect.

it's been a while but i would think a 32 would clear fine with a 2 inch lift.

• Previous owner installed the RC lift on my TJ... even on smooth roads, the name is correct it's ROUGH! Don't forget that when you change one thing on a Jeep, three other things will need to be done... ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!