What does it take to get on the beach?

• I’m hoping you guys can give me some advice with getting out on the beach this year. I was thinking about running over to Eastern Marine but wanted to sound at least slightly educated on the topic before going in.

I’m looking to get my family out with a group this summer with as minimal spending as I can get away with.

https://egov.dnrec.delaware.gov/ Looking at the PARK PASSES/SURF FISHING table.
    Do I need a “2014 Delaware Resident Vehicle---General---[Resident]” along with the “2014 Delaware Resident Surf Fishing---General”??

We have a canopy, chairs, grill, cooler, towels etc… The regular beach stuff. I’ve got a handful of fishing poles but they are more designed for use on a boat. Is there a requirement to what type of pole you have? I don’t really care to catch any fish just need to do what I need to do to be on the beach.

Any other gottchas I need to be worried about?

• Any fishing rod is ok, it has to have a hook and bait in the water. You must be actively fishing or they will tell you to leave

• I could be wrong but I believe you and any adults "fishing" will need a DE fishing license and a FIN number. A sand spike is also a key necessity.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• A sand spike is also a key necessity.

That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for. Thanks!

Do need a FIN# though.

What is a FIN and does that come from Eastern Marine?

Does Kelly (wife) need a fishing license if she is not fishing? AKA don't touch the pole.
    **Anyone having a Beavis and Butthead moment...me too. LOL!**

Do I need to purchase the $27 "2014 Delaware Resident Vehicle"? It looks like that is the annual state park pass. But based off what Keith said I think the $65 "2014 Delaware Resident Surf Fishing tag" gets me both.

• Yup, FIN is a free fishing registry that you sign out up for online and print your paper.
    Your surf fishing license is also your surf tag - $65 sticker for the beach plate covers you when fishing from the saltwater beaches in Delaware - still need a license for freshwater.
    Anyone you take out on the beach is allowed to be there with you...so long as they don't attempt to fish at all. If they do, then they must purchase their own fishing license independent of your surf tag license.

As soon as positioning your vehicle on the final spot on the beach, you must start fishing. Sure, take a few minutes to unpack, but plan to start fishing right away and up until you are starting to pack up.
    Any fishing pole/rig/line/reel suffices...so long as you can technically catch a fish with it. You must have a baited line...although this is a gray area. Some say live bait and others say live or fake...up to you to decide for yourself. Just don't tie on a sinker and cast out (Billy :) ).

If you are leery of the sand, airing down isn't a bad idea. But based upon your Jeep you should be just fine with your normal street pressure. I haven't aired down in 8 years...but of course I just jinxed myself and will now be pleading for a strap this summer. There are airing stations at CHSP beach access points, but they tend to leak and will have a line of people waiting on busy weekends.

Like mentioned, the required equipment is listed in the links above. Recovery equipment is a must and common sense too, trash bags for your trash and anything else you see blowing by, bug spray, sunblock, water, a comfortable camp chair, sand spike for the rod, beer coozies, ice for keeping the beer cold, and plan to leave your stresses at home. See you out there...I'll be the guy freaking out about bringing the JKU out there for the first time!

• Even though you can get away with faking it with the fishing part, make an effort, its actually really fun to catch stuff. At least put enough weight on thay your casts stay where you threw it out. Hate seeing someones neglected line tangling up everyone around them

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• http://www.destateparks.com/activities/fishing/surf fishing/rules.asp
    [url=http://www.destateparks.com/activities/fishing/surf-fishing/rules.asp]http://www.destateparks.com/activities/fishing/surf-fishing/rules.asp[/url]
    Going to order one of those pop up bathroom tent thingies in next few weeks. Good to have if you have kids or wife-gf-date or what ever with you :doh:
    a surf rack/trailer cargo carrier is a great investment also. I got the cheep harbor freight one and it works great. $99.00 but on sale now and then for $60 something.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/5…-cargo-carrier-69688.html Aluminum, light weight. Added PVC rod holders to it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!