stuck- any ideas?

• I have a friend who got his 89xj stuck pretty bad today. I came out and tried to get him out-NOt happening! :cuss:
    2xjs,3tjs,1 f250 and a 8000lb winch have all failed to snatch him. the back end is sunk down past the back window :bang: and the front axle is stuck in mud.

any other ideas? a tractor? :help:

• where? did you try having the winch vehicle try to pull, but anchor the winch vehicle with a bunch of fullsize trucks?

have you broken out your shovels yet?

• The trick to pulling someone out to make sure you pull in a straight line with the stuck vehicles wheels (path). If the one end of the vehicle is really sunk in, you'll either have to try to pull from the other end, or try to lift the sunken end UP out of the muck. You may need a front end loader to do the lifting.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• he got stuck in a bad spot. I had to attach two straps together and carry them through the woods and attach to my jeep which was on the main path. lol I tried from the back and almost rolled the xj over on its side :bang: :bang: :bang: :doh: it was close. you'll see when surfrider uploads the photos

• and BTW this xj has about 5in of lift 31s, and no tow points :doh: He told me the grille guard was attached to the frame, i was skeptical but I took his word for it. he said he didnt car what broke, he just wanted it out. :laughing:

To make a long story short, I ripped the grille guard and front bumper off the xj
    :bang:
    now we have been pulling from the axle :doh:

• It wasn't a blue XJ was it?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• When you said the bumper ripped off because it wasn't properly attached, for some reason I remember a blue XJ that used to be on this board. I'm not sure why.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Without actually being there and seeing it in person I can only make a suggestion.

Take two short straps, wrap one each around axle where the LCA's meet, attach with d ring shackles. Take vehicle with winch and strap it to large tree (as straight as possible to stuck vehicle). Attach winch line to both short straps (might need snatch block and shackle ) and extract vehicle. Hope this helps, looks pretty straight forward. If this does not work shoot me an email at Onemeanmopar@comcast.net , I can probably get some fullsize trucks with winch's to help out

• Where is this at? If this isn't too far away, I might be willing to take a crack at it.

Have you tried using a pulley block off of a treesaver? I was able to pull out a bobcat (extremely heavy)that was sunk
    pretty deep doing it that way. The angle being greater than 90 degrees helps. I know my jeep is alot lighter than the
    fullsize pickups, but as you can see from these pics, it doesn't matter if you anchor the jeep off the back.

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!