2.5l rebuild....anyone wanna do it??!!!

• 89 yj... needs rebuild, slight upgrades, and someone to do it. lolol my girl needs some dressing and i was wondering if anyone could recommend someone who could do the build (or possibly a swap) for me. bad oil leak, rear main seal i think... and blow by. probably looking to do a little boring and gain a few horses wherever i can while in the process. anyone interested or know someone who is, let me know. thanks a bunch and happy holidays to all.

• imo u might as well just swap in a 4.0l
    but if u r dead set on keeping the 2.5
    get with tedsbumper on the boards here
    he had alot of work done by a guy named john in milford iirc

• When my origional 91 2.5 needed replaced @ 244k miles, I got in touch with Parts B!tch AKA "A.J." on the Maryland creepers board and got a 97 2.5 w/45k miles for $650. :innocent:
    Zero blowby, twice the power and no head aches. (can be done in a day) :driving:

• kinda what i figured... if i was gonna swap, to jump to the 4.0. bbd mentioned to me something about a member here with a shop in camden by the spca...? and i saw an ad for localboysautomotive.com in laurel... said the specialize in jeeps. anyone heard anything about them?? think parts b*tch would take my old motor if i swapped? and do they do the work or just sell parts?

• kinda what i figured... if i was gonna swap, to jump to the 4.0. bbd mentioned to me something about a member here with a shop in camden by the spca...? and i saw an ad for localboysautomotive.com in laurel... said the specialize in jeeps. anyone heard anything about them?? think parts b*tch would take my old motor if i swapped? and do they do the work or just sell parts?

Tony AKA Da Mutt is the one with the shop you will need to get up with him about doing a swap.
    I have done the 4.0 swap and if you want to DIY Ican help you with hands on and advise but I am not in a position to do it for you.

• imo u might as well just swap in a 4.0l
    but if u r dead set on keeping the 2.5
    get with tedsbumper on the boards here
    he had alot of work done by a guy named john in milford iirc

what is "iirc"???

• what is "iirc"???

If I recall/remember correctly. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• keep the 2.5 and gear your axles for more power that is all you need.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• think parts b*tch would take my old motor if i swapped? and do they do the work or just sell parts?

If he took it, it'd be for scrap. He works for a salvage yard they just sell parts. No installation.(that I know of) Your price may vary if he has one. :spinrhead:

• You can install get a fully rebuilt 2.5 longblock for under $1k, direct replacement, no headaches. Add a clutch, new water pump, you might be talinking $1200. I used a Capitol City longblock on my 89 and it was very strong crate motor. Plus you get a 3 year 30k warrentee. No shop will give you that on rebuilding yours. You can do a 4.0 but you will be replacing the trans and transfer case as well. The upside of that is that you will then be running a 4.0 with 4:10 gears.

Good Luck.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• biggest prob im having is blow by... im pretty sure thats whats causing the leaks... out the dipstick housing, valve cover grommets and distributor housing. if i could just clean up the blow by i wouldnt have a problem keeping the 2.5l :shrug:

• biggest prob im having is blow by... im pretty sure thats whats causing the leaks... out the dipstick housing, valve cover grommets and distributor housing. if i could just clean up the blow by i wouldnt have a problem keeping the 2.5l :shrug:

Also on the 2.5 Yj some years did not have a PCV valve. It uses a small tube on the drivers side of the rocker cover near the front of the motor. Make sure this is clear.

• pcv is brand new, and the line is clear enough to shove oil into my air filter box... :bang: monty mentioned doing a compression test. what do you think? maybe damutt 4x4 can check her for a small fee?? :help:

• compression test is real easy if oyu have the tools. you need a good battery, a spark plug socket and one of these
    http://www.autozone.com/servle…7C%7EB%7C%7EACM%7C%7Etrue

it should be on the loan a tool program at autozone.

unscrew the spark plugs on all 4 cylinders marking the location of the plug wires. then scew the compression tester in and crank the engine over several times while watching the tester ( a buddy helps here) record the highest reading and move to the next cylinder once done report back here with the readings....

• also the motor should be warmed up, and at WOT.
    readings should be within 15% (at least thats a general rule of thumb with outboards).
    also compare readings with factory spec.

a cylinder leakdown test is better, but requires different tools, and is a bit trickier that a compression test.
    stick with that one. at least for now.

i would do both of those test before ordering a new crate motor.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!