rotors/pads advice

• I had a free oil change coupon from the dealer so I took my Tj in today and it looks like I need new brakes/pads. I only have 20k on it but there's only about 10% left on the pads and the rotors did look a little scorn. The guys at the dealership said there wasn't really enough there to turn them and quoted me like $400 to do the job with replacement factory parts.

I'm thinking upgrade and do it myself...............changed alot of pads but never rotors. It doens't look to tricky to me though.

2 questions.

1. Am I missing something? Are rotors that dificult to install?
    2. Anyone have a recommendation on a make for rotors/pads? I was looking at either the powerslot rotors/Hawk pads combo that q-tec has for like $225 or maybe Performance Rotors/pads (around like $260).

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

• Rotors are easy. Personally, I'd be a little suspicious of the dealer but that's only because I've had various garages feed me that line before.

"Oh...by the way you need a new battery and we JUST happen to be having a sale..."
    "Your tie rods need replaced and we don't want your NEW TIRES to get ruined..."

Front pads are typically good for 25,000 miles minimum so I guess the need for pads is understandable. The need for replacement ROTORS though? That's fishy. I call bs on that. Measure them first and find out what the allowable tolerance is.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I kinda agree with you on the rotors. I'm taking to a shop I trust in Newark tomorrow to have the rotors looked at before I order anything.

Any recommendations on an upgrade/replacement if they do need to be replaced?

• do the job urself and save 325
    rotors and front pads are really cake walk
    with the price of a new rotor from a parts store
    u might aswell replace them
    also get decent pads

but i wouldnt go to pricey

powerslot and the like are great on a street car
    but really not worth imo on a jeep

• I got almost 30 years on my rotors. But being that they are CJ rotors they are a tad beafier. :innocent:

If you need to get them turned, Christiana Auto Parts did mine for $8 a piece. That was a couple years ago but I'm sure it didn't go up too much.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I got almost 30 years on my rotors. But being that they are CJ rotors they are a tad beafier. :innocent:

If you need to get them turned, Christiana Auto Parts did mine for $8 a piece. That was a couple years ago but I'm sure it didn't go up too much.

They come rec omened by my neighbor also. Although, he still had 90,000 on his front pads on his 2500 HD.

• factiry rotors tend to be new at specs it seems. rotors and pads are a super easy job. do it yourself and save a fortune

• And don't bother turning them. "Modern" rotors tend to be so thin they will just warp again in no time, if warping is even a problem. I do find it hard to believe that you need new rotors. Like everyone has said, beware, brake jobs are garage's cash cows...

• If in fact your fronts are wearing too fast, theyre can be a few reasons.
    1. rears not adjusting, therefore the fronts are doing all the work
    2. Oversized tires
    3. Riding your breaks to hard. Not down shifting.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I only have 20k on it but there's only about 10% left on the pads and the rotors did look a little scorn. The guys at the dealership said there wasn't really enough there to turn them and quoted me like $400 to do the job with replacement factory parts.

I just caught the fact that you only have 20K on the Jeep. I'm wondering if this could be fixed under warrantee, if they are indeed warn out already (rotors).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Never did rotors on a Jeep, but I bout a car on ebay about 2 years ago. It was a 99 Chrysler Concorde. Flew down to TX and drove it back here. First thing I did (after a 1600 mile trek) was pads and rotors. I used EBC Greenstuff and some cross drilled rotors from Canada (also ebay special, seeing a trend?) I never did brake work at all. All I had was a Chilton and some tools. I got all 4 done in 3 hours without a lift. Had to keep jaking up the car around. If you do it yourself make sure you do it axle by axle and use one side to make the other side look like it.

• I use a large C-Clamp, but I can see how that would work well. More important is a good set of break tools to handle the rear drums.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• More important is a good set of break tools to handle the rear drums.

Steve

Yeah, I have one of those "X" tools that has a different tool at each end. It really helped a lot when doing drum brakes.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• thanks for all the info. I went with the Powerslot rotors and hawk pads combo from Q-tec. should be here in a few days..................I took the pads/rotor off the front drivers side last night and put it back on just see what was intailed. No probelms at all. Thanks again.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!