HELP! Something is wrong with my engine.

• your water pump pulley is also connected to the fan and clutch, the smooth pulley should be your idler/ belt tensioner. these will also go bad. n.a.p.a. should have a tensioner in stock.....some where around $30 . if you have anti-freeze right under the water pump. make sure when you get it running . check under the water pump for leaks or a steady drip. this will indcate that the pump is going bad.

The idler/belt tensioner pulley turned, with a little friction, but turned.

If the fan still turns, then its not the fan clutch? How do I tell. Its all turned by the same pulley :shrug:

• If the fan still turns, then its not the fan clutch? How do I tell. Its all turned by the same pulley :shrug:

with the belt installed
    the fan should spin freely a few turns

with the belt removed the fan and water pump should both spin freely

• If you replace the water pump, make sure you get one that rotates the correct way. It may not be an issue with the newer stuff but with mine, there are two different possible rotations. As was said, it's not too bad a job but you will have to take the radiator out to make room.

Doing it in the cold will suck though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My own 2 cents, pull your radiator before you do the job. Much easier and less risk of a punture and replace your hoses at the same time. Also, When you refill your radiator, pull the heater hose off to let all the air out of the system. Also be sure to wait 24 hours before filling radiator to let everything cure.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• If you replace the water pump, make sure you get one that rotates the correct way. It may not be an issue with the newer stuff but with mine, there are two different possible rotations. As was said, it's not too bad a job but you will have to take the radiator out to make room.

that is a good point john.. iirc though the newer jeeps are all california emmisions ready.. but back in the day of CJ's and a few early YJ's both california emmisions ready and non cali ready.. this iirc was mainly noticable to the consumer as either sets of V belts or a single serpentine belt. usually the cali ready vehicles in the jeep family had a serpentine belt...

Liz,
    If your looking for a warm snow free place to do this.. I have a friend who just opened a garage in Newport who might for a few dollars let you in to use it pm me for more details either way good luck.. if you want another hand or anything let me know id be happy to help out

• id stay away from a pep boys reman water pump, better off with a napa reman the one on cleveland ave has on in stock for 40, no point in saving 5-10$ if the pump doesnt last. while ur in there might want to replace the thermostat only 5$ tops. use a little weather strip adhesive to hold the gasket to the pump then on the other side use a little orange silicone. that way the gasket wont try to move while ur installing it and the orange silicone will allow you to slide the pump around to line it up. this doesnt really aid in the sealing of the gasket just helps with proper alignment and guarantee it not to leak, so dont over do it with either the adhesive or silicone just a thin layer will do it. you can do the same for thr thermostat.

• I think I might just have my brother tow it back to my grandfathers hanger back in middletown were I was putting the lift on last week. I have to take it back down there anyway to finish my lift modifications, and clean up. You should see the piles of boxes, old parts, and tools! I cant wait to get pics up of that.

I replaced the thermostat 2 months ago when I did my reg maintenance, only because it just went in my car (100K miles). It cant hurt.

:doh: I put my new radiator in very tight on wednesday. I gonna take my time and see if I can do it without taking out the radiator.

• Me and a friend replaced my water pump on Sat. and it was pretty straight forward. I don't know if there is a difference between XJs and TJs in this area but it went in well. We only removed the fan and tilted the power steering out of the way.
    Chuck

Arent all TJ 4L water pumps reverse acting?

• :doh: I put my new radiator in very tight on wednesday. I gonna take my time and see if I can do it without taking out the radiator.

Me thinks me sees a problem. How long was the radiator out? When a Waterpump dries out and its in its end days, it will often fail sortly thereafter. I have seen that before. Again, I would not reccomend doingth ejob with the rad in the way, but, it can be done.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Me thinks me sees a problem. How long was the radiator out? When a Waterpump dries out and its in its end days, it will often fail sortly thereafter. I have seen that before. Again, I would not reccomend doingth ejob with the rad in the way, but, it can be done.

Steve

The radiator was out for maybe 2 hours... All I can say is that if it was in its ending days, then I am at least glad it went out in my driveway and not on the trail.

• If something jammed up on that water pump pulley (the clutch fan seizing), you may have spun the flange on the water pump shaft. It's just a press fit. That's what happened to me when my fan took out my radiator.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If something jammed up on that water pump pulley (the clutch fan seizing), you may have spun the flange on the water pump shaft. It's just a press fit. That's what happened to me when my fan took out my radiator.

New New New

At this point spending 100$ to replace both is a drop in the bucket.

I think I am going to start a thread in the Members forum about adding a CRYING icon.

• I think I am going to start a thread in the Members forum about adding a CRYING icon.

Here's one. :spinrhead:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!