The Fate of my carpet in your hands....

• The guy who sells the POR15 lives across Basin Rd. from you in South Penn Acres (Pennwood). I definately have sheet metal that big. I have a piece of an old hood that should work.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Someone was asking about the Line-X stuff before I think... When I had my Unlimited, I had the whole tub sprayed with Line-X. It was done same day. I often drove with open toe sandals but mostly barefoot from Spring to Fall. Heat wasn't a problem at all, It was like the stuff insulated the undercarriage from the heat produced. Good stuff in my opinion, plus I didn't want to have to do all the prep work (ie taping) I'm lazy. I plan on getting the Rubi done as well. Gets muddy inside. pull the seats, spray it out the back tailgate and then pull the drain plugs to let it dry. Good stuff.

• Someone was asking about the Line-X stuff before I think... When I had my Unlimited, I had the whole tub sprayed with Line-X. It was done same day. I often drove with open toe sandals but mostly barefoot from Spring to Fall. Heat wasn't a problem at all, It was like the stuff insulated the undercarriage from the heat produced. Good stuff in my opinion, plus I didn't want to have to do all the prep work (ie taping) I'm lazy. I plan on getting the Rubi done as well. Gets muddy inside. pull the seats, spray it out the back tailgate and then pull the drain plugs to let it dry. Good stuff.

how much did it cost... ?

• how much did it cost... ?

Too much! Well I dunno how much his cost but all the quotes I had were $400 - $800 bucks. :bsflag: when you can do it yourself.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Just want to re-iterate a previous post:

POR 15 is a rust converter where herc or rhino lining is just a bed-liner to protect from scratching.... Does nothing for rust... Best thing to do is por15 everhting then have it coated....

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Now I'm curious. Does nothing to repair rust, or does nothing to prevent rust? I would imagine it at least helps prevent it since it's stopping the exposure of metal..

Just want to re-iterate a previous post:

• Now I'm curious. Does nothing to repair rust, or does nothing to prevent rust? I would imagine it at least helps prevent it since it's stopping the exposure of metal..

Does nothing to repair or prevent if you ask me. Before I get TJ lined I'm definitely going to Por15 it. It's not expensive and I'll know that it will never rust. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• The plan is to POR 15 the rust spots and Line the whole thing... (AFter I fix this rusted spot.)

what ya think? how do I fix this.. Jman and I think I could caulk down a piece of sheet metal and weld around it. with the help of slopar's wire welder... :) (have not talked to slopar yet... ) then I would por15 the whole area. and line the rest. that still have factory paint on it.

Here is what I got.

See more pics at
    http://www.traildamage.net/Cop…e/thumbnails.php?album=55

• i priced my tj at linex in dover. at $600 they do everything. same day. i never did it tho

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• ya I am doing it my self... but I need some experience on how to fix this rusted through spot first. ???

Slimer I am going to take you up on that piece of sheet metal you have I think I am going to need the same thickness and material because it will need to have the same melting point so its easy to weld.

Steve.

• cut it out and weld in new.

if you put something above/bleow it, it will just continue to rust. find a repair floor panel and cut out old and weld in new.

por15, and then line-x or so on.

then you know it will be good to go

• x2 :up:

• x2...... I think if you just add another peice of metal on top of the rust, it will allow for moisture to collect and allow it to continue to rust......

• One thing to keep in mind is that you can't top coat over POR15 easily. POR15 dries so hard that nothing will stick to it. I believe there is something that can be painted on top of POR15 that will soften the surface but I've never used it. A buddy of mine who has lots of experience with POR15 will top coat it when it before it dries fully and is still tacky. That's what I did with my plow and rockers.

Also, POR15 needs to be painted on bare metal. Otherwise it's doing nothing to help prevent rust because it won't be bonded directly to the metal. What I would do is gut the vehicle and sand blast the floor down to bare metal. Then POR15 over that, top coat it with something like Rustoleum or any paint close to the color of the vehicle when tacky, and put the carpet back in. That way, the carpet will prevent the UV rays away from the POR15 (as will the top coat) and you can remove the carpeting when it gets wet without fear of the UV hitting the POR15 during drying time.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!