Installed Steering Stabilizer

• I took some time yesterday and installed a new Steering Stabilizer.

As usual, getting the old one off proved to be the hardest part of the job. The nut on the top bolt came off right away, thanks to quadna's air ratchet wrench. The bottom one took me longer, as It was awkward holding the back still while I ratcheted the front (couldn't use the air tool since I didn't have that size socket in the 1/2" set).

Then getting the top out of the hole was a pain. In Stu Olson's write-up, he used a puller to get that off. So last week I got myself a puller, just to be prepared. Unfortunately, it was a three arm puller and it kept slipping off.

So after visiting Slinky (for the port-o-band adventure) I stopped at Pep Boys, bought a two arm puller as well as some 1/2 to 3/8 socket adapters!

With the new puller it took about 3 minutes to get the bolt dislodged from the drag link, and installed the new steering stabilizer. Bob Supplee said it was a Heckthorne, the material in the box said BDS Suspensions, and the sticker said Rough Country -- who knows what it really is...

As I was working on that, the Fedex guy stopped by with the divider kit for my Tuffy Storage box. So after the stabilizer, I spent an hour trying to figure out how those were supposed to go in.

I also modified the rack over the Tuffy box by adding a few eye bolts, so I have more places to attach by bungee cords.

I also reinstalled my steering box skid plate. I had taken it off for Baker Jeep to install a new steering box. Got that done on Tuesday, total cost zero under warranty.

As long as I was at it, I got BlueJ ready for summer weather - removing soft top, windows, and doors, and installing header top. Just in time for the rainstorm in the afternoon. I discovered that some creature chewed a couple of holes in my Rain Gear Jeep Cover. Anyone have a canvas repair kit?

Anyway it was a long day for a non-mechanic like me, so I was pooped by the end of the day. But it was worth it!

• I wrapped it twice over the bar, and it's holding for now. I didn't try tightening up the winch cable yet. I'll see on Saturday how well it will hold in place.

:rollsmile:

• Andrew, fyi my lift is a rough country and it came with heckthorn shocks. Im pretty sure that heckthorn is just rough countrys brand. Mine came with both stickers heckthorn and rough country. As for the bds? Who knows that sounds like an accident. Unless they make the shocks for rough country and put the heckthorn name on them. Now im confused.
    Ed :spinrhead: :shrug:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I ordered the same Steering stabilizer from Bob a couple months ago and installed it. Seems to be a big improvement.

Definately much more heavy duty than the stock one. About double the size.

-Chris

• thats something else i should do. my jeep has a problem with the return if i turn all the way one direction. its kind of a dead spot. i am sure a stabilizer would fix that no prob.

just something else to spend money on.

• I'm not sure if a stabilizer would help, the stabilizer if I remember right from putting mine on is basically a damper. It doesn't have like a return to it, it' just dampens the motion of the steering, so it won't help bring it back to center, if anything, it'll make it worse.

I could be completely wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.

• yeah, your right now that i think about it.

its not bad enough for me to worry about really, just kinds annoying.

• Quote from "bmf24"

yeah, your right now that i think about it.

its not bad enough for me to worry about really, just kinds annoying.

Might try hookin' a bungee cord to the draglink, might be just enough. :laughing:

• Almost all og the stearing stablizers and shocks come out of a Monroe factory. They are about the only manufacturer of shock products left. Companies just spec ot their own requirements and put thieir own stickers on them.

More on topic... It sounds like you had a good day. Unfortunately, mine was not as good. I am not ready for the Sat ride. I am going to have to finish tomorrow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!