MEDIC!

• Ok, my XJ always makes crazy noises because of the tires / lockers / whatever. But I've started getting some horrific noises, especially driving it to work today. It sounds awful, and I can't figure out if it's coming from the wheel hubs (could be shot from mudding), the engine (could be shot from mudding), the fans (could be shot from mudding), or some one of my belts (mudding?).

Normally I would futz around and try to fix it myself, but I need my jeep reliable by this weekend for the RC trip. So, where should I take it / who should I get to fix it?

• Sevy's garage on Rt. 273....but it might be a stroke of luck to get it fixed by this weekend.

Does it make the noise when reving the engine while parked? If so then that rules out the wheel hubs. If you have an electric fan then disconnect the power to it and see if the noise stops. If it doesn't then that rules out the fan. If it were a belt then the noise would change with the rpms.

What type of noise is it exactly?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• As Slimer alluded to the easiest thing to begin diagnosing the problem is to tell whether it varies with engine speed or wheel speed...that'll tell you whether it's engine/tranny or driveline. If I had to name a couple posibilities that I've seen on mine in the past...unit bearings are common when running larger tires (I used to replace mine once a year w/ 36's), serpentine idler pulley (there's a bearing in it that doesn't tend to like mud/water), power steering pump (yes, mine actually made a grinding noise), CV (starts as 'angry sparrows' but can sound _nasty_ shortly before it fails), ujoints (axles and/or d-shaft will make a horrible squeal when they're dry/failing), or alternator (not sure what year yours is but the '99s had the alt. still mounted at the bottom on the passenger side and there's a reason I've got a 'lifetime warranty' alternator in there :innocent:)

--Ian

• All the feedback is appreciated.

There are at least 4 different troubling noises going on.

1) A mild grinding noise that starts as soon as the engine starts.
    2) A mild clanking noise that I only here after I've been at speed and then come to a stop and am cruising / idle.
    3) A whine that happens when I hit the gas between idle rpm & roughly 2k rpm.

4) The worst, occasionally once it's been running 55 mph+, when I come back down to idle, it sound like my fan is eating itself. This one worries me the most.

One of the problems is my rig is so loud I can't really hear anything over 20 mph. However the engine is not overheating, no loss of torque, no loss of power.

I'm going to take it over to Slopar's place tonight to see if we can't figure it out.

• Spin the fan and make sure that the clutch is alright...it's a viscous coupling so there shouldn't be any noise. My bet is the grinding and sqeal are coming from the idler pulley. Loosen the belt, pull it off the pulley and spin it...should be smooth with no noise. Autozone carries the replacement for not too much $$ and it's a 1-bolt operation.

--Ian

• first thing go to sears and invest in an automotive stethoscope prob about 20$. these things are great for finding pesky noises. you can check the wheel bearings by putting the jeep up on jackstands and running it in 4wd listen at each bearing for grinding. can also check all bearings on the front of the motor idler, tensioner, alt....the tool is priceless i use it just about every day at work.

• first thing go to sears and invest in an automotive stethoscope prob about 20$. these things are great for finding pesky noises. you can check the wheel bearings by putting the jeep up on jackstands and running it in 4wd listen at each bearing for grinding. can also check all bearings on the front of the motor idler, tensioner, alt....the tool is priceless i use it just about every day at work.

What about non-drive train areas? Have you used it to try to find squeaks and rattles?

• All fixed. Slopar came over, we took off the serpentine belt, and found out that A) the water pump was not spinning 100% freely, and then B) the alternator was not spinning whatsoever. It was totally seized. So we trekked down to pep-boys, got a new serp belt (lifetime warranty) and a new alternator (lifetime warranty), came back and threw em in. Good as, um, before..... Wheels are still squealing, but i have extra hubs laying around for when they finally decide to quit on me.

Thanks to all for the advice, and especially Slopar for saving my ass, and to Max for cleaning up my Z rotors so that I could get both vehicles back on the road tonite.

Good to go for saturday

• Wheels are still squealing, but i have extra hubs laying around for when they finally decide to quit on me.

hint....change them now BEFORE they quit on you miles away from home. :up:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i find that wd40 works well for finding squeaks, if u spray the belt and the squeal stops the belt is bad, can also spray bushings one at a time until the squeak in the suspension is gone. depends on where the rattle is coming from and if it does it while sitting and not driving. just a cheap tool that can come in handy.

• All fixed. Slopar came over, we took off the serpentine belt, and found out that A) the water pump was not spinning 100% freely, and then B) the alternator was not spinning whatsoever. It was totally seized. So we trekked down to pep-boys, got a new serp belt (lifetime warranty) and a new alternator (lifetime warranty), came back and threw em in. Good as, um, before..... Wheels are still squealing, but i have extra hubs laying around for when they finally decide to quit on me.

Thanks to all for the advice, and especially Slopar for saving my ass, and to Max for cleaning up my Z rotors so that I could get both vehicles back on the road tonite.

Good to go for saturday

You make me want to move to your place so i can get stuff on my jeep.....it's like you have emergency mechanics on call.

• You make me want to move to your place so i can get stuff on my jeep.....it's like you have emergency mechanics on call.

:laughabove: people need to like you first :laughing: :wavey: j/k

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• NOTE: Mistaken's post ws deleted due to a violation of the rule below

Topics allowed include anything PG-13 (at moderators discretion). No X-Rated pictures or X-rated jokes. No racist remarks, gender remarks, etc. will be allowed. There will be no tolerance on this. Topics must be posted in their accurate forum (IE: Mountain bikes go in Off-topic).

I realize it was a joke but as I like to say "Nothing personal, just the rules."

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!