• i am going to buy a welder this week. i am looking at something like a 175 or a 180.
    the best deal i see so far is lowes has a lincoln pro-pak 180 for $669. it has a 30% duty cycle mig or flux core, which is fine for what i will be using it for. it looks like the same thing at the pro-mig 180 (all the same specs).

any one else have any sugestions for anything simular for about the same price? any place i havent looked?

• i am going to buy a welder this week. i am looking at something like a 175 or a 180.
    the best deal i see so far is lowes has a lincoln pro-pak 180 for $669. it has a 30% duty cycle mig or flux core, which is fine for what i will be using it for. it looks like the same thing at the pro-mig 180 (all the same specs).

any one else have any sugestions for anything simular for about the same price? any place i havent looked?

I really like my lincoln sp175plus...IIRC the 180's about the same specs so I think you'd be happy with it for the kind of stuff we use them for. I've always had good luck with lincoln machines but miller makes a good unit as well. Check a couple of the local welding shops...the one over here by the NCC building did me pretty well on mine when I needed to replace my old welder. They gave me a killer deal on the floor model as it was the last one they had in stock at the time (and I tend to be an impatient bastard).

--Ian

• after the recomendations i stopped by G&E next to the county building and they hooked me up with a deal i couldnt refuse. i got the pro mig 180 with the infinate controls for about the same price as the cheaper one that lowes sells.
    i get one deal a year and it looks like this one is it.
    i looked at some of the millers and they had some really nice stuff but were a couple hundred more for the smaller 220v welders.

thanks for the advice.

• I have the Lincoln Weld-Pack 100 the thing that i like about it is that it is only 110v so I cane use it anyware. Not limited by not having a 220V line.

I don't consider mine limiting...I have a 50ft (or so) heavy gauge extension cord with a dryer plug so that I can use it at friends' houses (but it tends to live in my garage as hauling the welder, cart, and bottle aren't my idea of fun). Most bracketry/gussets/etc are >=3/16" on our rigs so many of the jobs are too much for a 110V machine making one not worth it for me. :shrug:

--Ian

• Most bracketry/gussets/etc are >=3/16" on our rigs so many of the jobs are too much for a 110V machine making one not worth it for me. :shrug:

--Ian

thats what i was looking at also. i could have gotten a 110v unit for alot less and not have to run new power and sub-panel to the garage bit i didnt want to be limited to what i could wled.

• I have welded 1 inch hinges on a tug with that little Weld-Pack. Just had to make a few passes. Also I don't use gas because it tends to get blown away out side with any wind.
    I had to use mine on barges with a small genset a lot of the time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!