Loose Axle

• I was helping to do some work on another jeep last night.
    and I needed to pull a part off my Jeep blown motor to fix his.

As you know the grill and fenders are off mine so as I was wrenching
    I dropped a socket and went down to get it as I got up I grabbed the drivers side tire and pulled on it.

The tire moved to the rear about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I then grabbed the tire and attempted to rotate it. It moved again. Not the Jeep but just the axle on the drivers side.

Looks like the axle U bolts are loose and it is allowing the axle to jump around.

This explains the broken degree shim and the bad tire ware I have been having on only this tire.

• Thank God it didn't let go while you were driving down the road!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• mine drive me nuts, i have the stupid bump stops on top of the axle and they always roll forward making the u-bolts very loose. I've had to stop worrying about it or i would have to tighten them twice a week. just an excuse to toss those bump stops i guess.

• If the nuts on the ubolts are unthreading, you can try what we did in the Army to keep track block bolts from loosening due to vibration: booger up the threads right at the nut with a chisel and hammer. Dont get too carried away, it will make it difficult should you have to remove them (we used to just use a 1,000 ft lbs hydraulic impact wrench to break them off) but you wont have to worry about them walking off again. and its better than drilling a hole in the bolt and putting a cotter pin through it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!