Nice EBAY find.......

• Picked up a EBAY find today.....a Ford t-18 granny geared transmission. :spinrhead: Not bad for $120. Also pretty local, up in PA.

Here's a pic....

Need to save up for a rebuild, adapter and other various parts, but should be able to put it in come winter.

Any fellow CJ t-18 owners have any tips? I've got a bunch of websites bookmarked detailing the install.

Joe

• Picked up a EBAY find today.....a Ford t-18 granny geared transmission. :spinrhead: Not bad for $120. Also pretty local, up in PA.
    Any fellow CJ t-18 owners have any tips? I've got a bunch of websites bookmarked detailing the install.

Joe

That's sweet! A rebuild kit will be $150. I think you'll need to change out or shorten the input shaft for it to fit a CJ bell housing. I think Parts Mike has them in stock.

I have a T150 bell housing that should fit it, but you may need to drill two holes. For a CJ, a T150 and T18 throw out bearing fork are almost identical. The only difference is that the Jeep T18 throw-out bearing fork has a relief cut out of one side to give room for a bolt head. I'm not sure if the same is true for a Ford T18.

When you go to the forums and ask questions, make sure you say that you have a FORD T18. It makes a difference. Two good websights to hit are Jeeps Unlimited CJ tech forum, and CJOffroad. CJOffroad has an awesome search engine. I'd start there.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• The input shaft is fine except for the need for a special pilot bushing and a clutch size change. The output shaft will be changed with the addition of
    a Novak adapter. The adapater kit comes with the pilot bushing and what's nice is the overall lenght doesn't change from my T-5 setup.

Bellhousings, I have a couple of options. The T176 and T150 will work with no mods, My T-5 bell I would need to drill and tap two holes. Either way I need a new clutch.

Oh, and the CJOffroad site, I haven't been able to get on for over a month.

Joe

• I have a bell that will work for your swap . free come and get it . I put a t18 in mine 2 years ago , but i went to a hydraulic set up for the clutch nice on the trail and in traffic . I used the Novak adapter and rebuild kit for mine it work's well .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

Edited once, last by 85cj7 ().

• Sweet. I'll take it! Let me know when and were.

Thanks,

Joe

I have a bell that will work for your swap . free come and get it . I put a t18 in mine 2 years ago , but i went to a hydraulic set up for the clutch nice on the trail and in traffic . I used the Novak adapter and rebuild kit for mine it work's well .

• I also have a T150 bell housing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• CJoffroad has been having some problems. I think they are switching servers or companies or something. A lot of those guys are also on the Jeeps Unlimited CJtech forum.

It just occurred to me that you will need a few more things for that T18. You'll need a skid plate from a T150 / T18 Jeep (they used the same), and you will have to drill new holes for that skid plate.

IF I WERE YOU....I'd have a custom skid plate made up that won't hang down as low. In fact, you might want to consider making some 1" lift motor mounts so that you can tuck the tranny up even further. I've been wanting to do this but haven't had the time. Imagine that...... :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I've read that I can "make" my stock skid work, but I also like the idea of a custom flat belly skid. With the Novak adapter that I'll be using, it has built it clocking ring, so I will be able to flatten it alot.

Joe

• I have some thick diamond plate that I was going to use for mine....someday. If you are going to make one maybe we can just get two cut out. I might have enough for two.

I used to have some pics or threads somewhere that had good examples. I think they are on CJOffroad forum.

I want to mount a cross bar to the frame to have the tranny bolted to. That way the skid plate will be separate from the mount. It will make it easier to work on.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!