Engine (mounting) Troubles

• Well on her way home last night, my wife feels her Jeep start violently shaking. She leaves it on the side of the road. I get off work at midnight and we tow it home with a tow strap. took almost an hour. Got it in my garage and I start looking. I crawled under the Jeep first and I see that the left side motor mount bolts (all 3) have broken off in the block and the motor is hanging by the right side.

So thats my dilemma. Broken bolts in the block. Now I don't wanna screw it up trying to get them out. Is there i anything special i need to do when getting them out? Do I just drill them and use an easy out? Is there any other method? Thanks.

-Cody

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• theres no other way .......other then pulling the engine to have more room. take you time. make sure you center punch before drilling. if the bolt don't come out easy. apply a little heat on each bolt as you remove the. they may have lock tite on them from oem. good luck theres not much room.

you might also check your other mounts as well , they have been flexing more then they should.

• If you can, weld a nut on the broken bolt and take it out with a wrench. I'd be interested in finding out why 3 bolts sheared off instead of have the rubber motor mount tear apart.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• they are broken down in the block. no way to weld a nut to them. i need a torch before i start. i got some pb on them. ill do that for a couple days before i give it a good shot. i want everything working for me

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• lets just say that the threads do get screwed up. can those be re-taped?

• we just had the same thing happen to a customers xj. i pulled the engine, drilled them out and they came right out with an easy out. the best we could figure is they loosend up and sherred off. make sure to check the alt, when the engine droped it broke in half. at my shop it only took about 8 hours to do the hole thing, but thats with a lift and all the right tools. let me know if you need help, ill do what i can if i have time.

• lets just say that the threads do get screwed up. can those be re-taped?

How far in are they? Are they almost flush with the block or are there a few open threads showing?

After heating them with an oxy/acetylene (or mapp gas) torch, once cooled try to get a thin screw driver or something to catch and edge of the broken surface. If you are lucky, you can spin it out that way. If that doesn't work and there are a few threads showing, you could center drill another bolt and screw it into the hole as far as it will go. Then use that as a guide to center drill the broken bolt with a small bit to use an easy out on. Another idea would be to stick a weld rod inside that center drilled bolt to weld it to the broken bolt. Then try to loosen it.

If you can get the bolts out relatively cleanly then you'll just need to dress the threads with a bottom tap. However, if you don't get the drill bit perfectly centered and/or end up getting too close the threads with the drill bit then you're screwed. You'll need to redrill and tap to the next size up. I would imagine there's enough material in that region of the block.

You can use helicoils too.

It might be worth taking it to a machine shop.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• there are a few threads showing. but the are broken off pretty smooth. ill go get a mapp torch and give that a try. i dont have welder yet so thats out.

can't really get a drill in there to drill.

im thinking on the last one right now cause im working alot this weeka and i need it running again so i dont gotta bum rides ( i hate bumming rides)

this is on the 98 sahara for anyone wondering.

• You can get a cheap Oxy/Mapp gass torch set up for $40 at Lowes or Home Depot. The bottles are small but it's a handy set to keep around. Get extra Oxygen bottles.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i dunno if i will get 2 it tommarrow. afternoon if at all. early sat is def tho. will pm and call as soon as i know.

• give me a call when you figure out when you are going to do the job (actually call and remind me and I will try to get a hold of an angle drill)

you know I will run doen if i can, I know Kris said someting about going to my sis-in law, but I could meet here up there.

• i have a right angle drill and torch you can use. give me a call .........i'm live in crossgates ........close to rodney village. 678-1701. j'll be around till 2:00pm.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!